You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-13 6:22 am

czokie

Toxic IP Listing - You blocked Australia

You have listed 0.0.0.0/6 in your toxic IP's. This is a pretty large subnet. 1.120.0.0/13 is allocated to Telstra Pty Ltd and used for dynamic IP allocation for end customers. The impact of this listing is that you have effectively listed a large part of Australia from accessing forums that consume this data. This is not a toxic subnet, and should not be listed.

I cannot submit removal requests for subnets - I assume this was added in error. Can someone please take a look, and adjust accordingly.

#2 2021-07-13 10:23 am

Alex Kemp
Website

Re: Toxic IP Listing - You blocked Australia

Hi czokie, welcome to SFS.

I've just sent a PM + email to pedigree to alert him about your post. He is the one responsible for making the allocation & will know the reason why.

These things are not done arbitrarily, but you will need to wait for his response.

#3 2021-07-19 10:42 am

aurion_z-cert

This is not the only range that is enormous. Ranges like 0.0.0.0/6, 4.0.0.0/8, 5.0.0.0/9, 5.128.0.0/11, 5.160.0.0/12 and 5.176.0.0/13 (all of which are on the blocklist now, and there are more big ranges mentioned) do not seem sensible to me.

I really would like to know why this happend and what can be done about it.

#4 2021-07-19 11:22 am

czokie

Agreed 100%. This is totally new behaviour - The toxic lists could be trusted to not have unintended consequences / collateral damage before. With these major subnets, it is causing significant impact to innocent IP block users.

#5 2021-07-19 3:37 pm

NeoFox
Website

Alex, remember back when, when I told you it was a bad idea and I had a bad feeling? I think you should have listened lol. Some of these people are just waiting for a payday and don't really care about policy or procedures here. Soon as they get the "proof or representation" of their ads, the money is done. They can then go about a way in the future to undo the bans again.

The world itself and governments have started within the last couple of years to find reasoning to jail spammers and scammers now. I thank covid for that.

Last edited by NeoFox (2021-07-19 3:41 pm)

#6 2021-07-19 9:24 pm

czokie

Someone else messaged me about this today. 5.64.0.0/13 is Sky UK Broadband - They're also caught up in a 5.0.0.0/9 block. I get the idea of toxic ranges, but such large subnets are totally unwarranted and causing repetitional damage to those that use your data.

At face value, I can understand why 5.0.0.0/19 might be blocked, but not 5.0.0.0/9 - These large blocks appear to be typo errors, causing problems for many many people.

Can someone please review the first few lines of the toxic ranges file, and please explained why they are included... or fix the problem

#7 2021-07-22 12:01 pm

czokie

Update. As well as Telstra Australia, Sky Broadband UK, I am now aware that these blocks are stopping Vodafone Germany. Alex Kemp - Did you get a reply?

#8 2021-07-22 12:03 pm

czokie

Funny story. These impacted people try IP removal, but it says they are not listed. They wanted to post here to add comments to this thread, but it tells them that they can't create an account here presumably because they are blocked by the incorrectly added toxic subnets.

Help please.

#9 2021-07-22 12:07 pm

ZX81v2

I am in UK and apparently I am now a spammer, even though I am a helper / ADMIN on a few sites....
Your idiotic move had removed my access rights to a site. What gives you the rights to do this.
In fact your great move could block trade and cause financial problems. So sack your team before they bankrupt you

#10 2021-07-24 6:38 am

Oblivian

Seem a little confused over what an opt-in opensource service is vs company.

Far as I'm aware. Scripts/Addons/Plugin writers use this list within their coding. SFS don't force anyone to use their lists?.

So although the ranges have been added and effecting sites setup to reference the database provided here. I imagine it's actually something an administrator can chose to turn off the addon/plugin that they utilize to bypass for time being.

#11 2021-07-24 6:44 am

czokie

Oblivian. Yes, at a high level sysadmin's can do manual tweaking of data. And that's fine. But lets get real here. The blocks are filtering 0.0.0.0/8, 1.0.0.0/8, 2.0.0.0/8, 3.0.0/8 in just one line of the toxic ip listing. I can understand the first subnet, but the others? Its a clear mistake. Listing nearly 2% of the internet with that block alone? And then there is the 5.0.0.0 subnet as well. And then if you get caught up in it (as a user, not a direct user), you click a link to unblock. And it says you are not blocked. Then you try to register on THIS forum, and it says you can't register. The dude above loaded a VPN to register and have his whinge I heard.

The point is, can anyone explain why anyone would validly want to list 2% of the internet in the toxic IP range file.

#12 2021-07-24 7:50 am

Maikuolan
Website

Unfortunately, the only person that can really look into this properly, explain what's going on there, or really do anything about it is pedigree, seeing as he's the person in charge here, and the only person with access to that kind of information and with the ability to change any of it. Although it has been slightly over a week now, and he hasn't replied here yet (and as frustrating as I'm sure it is for those affected, it's also something completely understandable, seeing as SFS isn't a business, and he isn't being actually paid anything to operate or maintain it, and seeing as he has plenty of other responsibilities in the real world, outside SFS), Alex Kemp has already mentioned in his earlier reply that he has already sent a PM to pedigree about this discussion here, so I don't think there's really much else that can be done for the moment.

Seeing as I'm just another member here, just like most of everyone else here, I can't personally explain what's going on her nor why, because I don't know. Being told to wait for someone which can explain, I realise may not feel like a satisfactory answer, but that's all there really is, beyond speculation and guesswork. Hopefully pedigree will have some spare time soon, and will be able see this discussion and provide some input. Beyond that.. not much I can suggest otherwise, other than to simply just not use the toxic list for the moment, until the problem can be resolved.

In terms of "sacking the team": There is nobody here to sack, because there's nobody here being paid anything as is anyway, owner included (beyond any donations he may potentially be receiving via the donations page, but I doubt that would amount to much, because donations never amount to much for anybody anywhere - aside, possibly, from dedicated large-scale charitable organisations, that is - anyway).

Last edited by Maikuolan (2021-07-24 7:51 am)

#13 2021-07-24 9:20 am

Alex Kemp
Website

Maikuolan wrote:

Alex Kemp has already mentioned in his earlier reply that he has already sent a PM to pedigree about this discussion here

PM + 2 emails now. He must be on holiday. Patience is the only option. Sorry.

#14 2021-07-25 9:05 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

looking at it

#15 2021-07-25 9:06 pm

pedigree

The database does not reflect this, and Im trying to find out why and how

#16 2021-07-25 9:10 pm

pedigree

this file has been removed while I try to figure out what is behind it as there is no way this range is in the db

#17 2021-07-25 9:26 pm

pedigree

files are regenerating now.

In the name of transparency, there was one line in the script that pulled data from the database that didnt trim() the data.

the validator didnt see a leading tab as invalid so feed that to an explode() and then a sprintf().  This is where PHP annoys me, its soft casting so this can back as a starting IP of false, which was then treated as zero, ie 0.0.0.0.

This was been fixed, sorry about the delay, school holidays.

I'm going to go over all the rest of the automated processing scripts to check the new validation code that will kill execution on invalid database data

#18 2021-07-25 9:28 pm

pedigree

update

this script will now hard terminate if any subnet is larger than /16

#19 2021-07-25 9:29 pm

pedigree

cloudflare CDN is now flushing all content

#20 2021-07-25 9:30 pm

pedigree

new database BEFORE INSERT triggers will be added today to process validate new data for IP ranges

#21 2021-07-25 10:10 pm

pedigree

this MySQL TRIGGER will be tested more today and then pushed live.  it will validate new and edited data to ensure that this cannot happen again.  so many apologies

BEGIN

-- expected input format is in the 1.2.3.4-5.6.7.8 format
  SET @iprange = TRIM(NEW.value);

-- do we have something that looks like a range?
  SET @delim = LOCATE("-", @iprange);
  if @delim = 0 THEN
           set @msg = concat("range separator not found ", iprange);
           signal sqlstate '45000' set message_text = @msg;	
  END IF;

-- split the range into two IP addresses
  set @start = trim(substring_index(@iprange, "-", 1));
  if !IS_IPV4(@start) THEN
           set @msg = concat("start IP address is not validate ipv4 (", @start, ")");
  END IF;

set @end = trim(substring_index(@iprange, "-", -1));
  if !IS_IPV4(@end) THEN
           set @msg = concat("end IP address is not validate ipv4 (", @end, ")");
  END IF;	

set @startint = INET_ATON(@start);
  set @endint = INET_ATON(@end);

if @endint < @startint THEN
        signal sqlstate '45000' set message_text = "start ip larger than end ip";
  END IF;

set @rangelength = (@endint - @startint);
  if @rangelength > 65535 THEN
           set @msg = concat("ip range too large (", @rangelength, ")");
  END IF;

SET NEW.value = concat(@start, "-", @end);

END

#22 2021-07-25 11:08 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Thanks pedigree. Nice work.

#23 2021-07-26 9:56 am

blackpudding

Thanks for that, keep up the good work smile

#24 2021-07-26 10:30 am

aurion_z-cert

Thanks pedigree! Looks good. wink

#25 2021-07-27 10:59 pm

czokie

Team. Thanks for the fix - and apologies if there was a little "heat" while waiting for the fix... For future "oh [Censored because I cant articulate my thoughts]" fixes, perhaps a list of regex's that can be manipulated by moderators / sub-admins that can filter out things that are known to be bad. Just a thought.

Thanks again.

Board footer