You are not logged in.

#51 2012-03-20 3:18 am

jackripper

Re: A Thanks to Stop Forum Spam!!

Well I do not know what we would do without the info you guys provide. I moderate a site that was being ruined by spammers getting past our registration page, we did install a small forum mod which did not allow any newbie posts to be made visible until verified, but we were getting swamped and 5 moderators spent most of our time deletting and banning names.
I literately stumbled on your site and boy was I in for a great surprise! I started using the search facility and what it showed 99 times out of every hundred .newbie. members joining us was that they wee spammers bigtime. We now get to them before they can post (as soon as they join we validate them here) All of our staff are so thankful to your forum and your members.
Having taken the next step to join, we can now add our spammers to your updated lists.

A real big thanks guys to you and your members.

jackripper

#52 2012-03-20 8:50 am

Night Hawk

jackripper wrote:

Well I do not know what we would do without the info you guys provide. I moderate a site that was being ruined by spammers getting past our registration page, we did install a small forum mod which did not allow any newbie posts to be made visible until verified, but we were getting swamped and 5 moderators spent most of our time deletting and banning names.
I literately stumbled on your site and boy was I in for a great surprise! I started using the search facility and what it showed 99 times out of every hundred .newbie. members joining us was that they wee spammers bigtime. We now get to them before they can post (as soon as they join we validate them here) All of our staff are so thankful to your forum and your members.
Having taken the next step to join, we can now add our spammers to your updated lists.

A real big thanks guys to you and your members.

jackripper

I would love to pool information between our two sites so we could each add new ban filters based on the volume we are each running into. Without SFS help the site I admin would be HISTORY in no time at all!

Without the ability to add the SFS plugin due to the software used I attempted one method of raising the minimum post requirement to one on all of the main sections except for the revised Welcome Center which had curtailed a volume of "drive by spammers". But new members weren't reading the announcement for all new arrivals to stop by the welcome center first before trying to start new threads and one complaint by email saw the end of that tactic deployed. sad The Drivebys have started up all over again.

Try being a lone gun since the rest of the staff abandoned the site due to the manager never being around to take care of things at his end. With a home portal page and other screening tools it's been uphill all the way to put a damper on the constant barrage.

One tip for you there is to run a check on the spammer's email address to see how IPs are using it! That can help stop returns by the same sources at times plus help take on a large volume. Some sites as one other site's admin pointed out always seem to get more then others. Aren't we the lucky ones?! :'( 3:(

Last edited by Night Hawk (2012-03-20 8:50 am)

#53 2012-03-24 12:27 am

j_ashton

Along with everyone else I am having great success stopping all kinds of spam with this tool.

Thanks for all your hard work and be expecting a donation

#54 2012-04-28 4:14 pm

samsine

Hello,

I know the amount of work such a project be associated and want to say thank you for this very good webside.

Our forum does not have any problems by spam users, but I still want to prevent.

Best regards
Samsine

#55 2012-04-29 1:09 pm

cmedico

I have been working on a forum for a while and was being overrun with spammers. At first I tried to ban blocks of IP addresses and that cut down the volume but it was still taking an hour of my day every day to clean up the mess they would leave.

Using your database along with an extension for punbb has totally changed the landscape on the forum. Most spammers are rejected outright. The few that make it through are dealt with in a few clicks.

I can't thank everyone here enough for your hard work.

#56 2012-05-11 2:08 am

jvvg

This website is awesome.

Not only does it prevent almost all spammers on my forums, I am also able to actually put the spammers I find through other methods here.

I have two anti spam programs. One uses this website to verify email and IP (not username, that causes too many problems), and it has a hidden password field. If the email or IP appears more than a certain amount of times or the hidden password field is filled out, then the registration is reported here.

Thanks a ton for preventing spam on my forums, as well as letting me actually do something with the spammers I find!

Great job!

Jacob G.

#57 2012-06-15 1:31 am

bodhi.zazen

Just wanted to thank you for your work.

#58 2012-06-16 7:10 pm

xistanbulx

thank you .

#59 2012-07-07 8:42 am

Blackwolf
Website

Yes...you guys do deserve a mighty big pat on the back. I have used the resources here for coming up to 3 years & am very pleased I was recommended to you.

I also use the latest Anti-Spam ACP by EXreaction

Keep up the great work.

cool

#60 2012-07-15 3:55 am

justin411

Thanks!  I will donate soon. 
My efforts to stop forum spam became daily job.  I finally had to shut the forum down for six months.  I recently re-opened my forum 2 days ago and this service has blocked quite a few spam registrations already.  Thanks.

#61 2012-08-08 8:07 pm

I, Brian

Seconded - my mods have been referencing SPS for a while, but now have the Glowhost plugin for vb installed. smile

Joined to sign up for the API key - however, heads up mods, you seem to have had a few spammers come through here already:
http://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/userlist.php

#62 2012-08-09 3:59 am

OnThePike

I, Brian wrote:

Heads up mods, you seem to have had a few spammers come through here already:
http://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/userlist.php

You're right. Unfortunately, this software isn't very mod-friendly and finding them via website link isn't possible.

#63 2012-09-15 11:17 am

grouchyolddude

jjust ONE more giant THANK YOU ... !!!!!!! big_smile

#64 2012-09-17 12:10 am

RichAndo

just thought i'd drop a

"Thank you"

in. i am a moderator on a free advise site and we all use your site for help. it is appreciated and more than helpful.
hopefully now i can give something back and add our spots to your site for spam users too.

#65 2012-09-21 5:33 pm

pitgirl70

This site helps me so much when identifying spammers.

#66 2012-09-23 1:49 am

Snowhog
Website

Our vBulletin forum is now using Spam-O-Matic with our registered Stop Forum Spam API key, as well as an Akismet API key. The number of registered spammers making it to our Q&A registration step has, so far, been zero. Zilch. Nada. I'm very pleased. Before that, I was manually moderating every new registrant, checking their IP and email address against the SFS database.

I've shown my support for the excellent service that SFS provides by making a small monetary donation. It does take money to keep sites like this going.

Thank you SFS!

Administrator - Kubuntu Forums . Net
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes
Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007

#67 2012-09-23 10:18 am

Dalu

I'm running in on a couple Drupal sites using the "spambot" module and regular selfmade solutions.
Thanks to this database I'm actually able to remove those annoyances for users like captcha or comment approval and so on. And if one makes it through it's only a few clicks to delete the account and auto report the IP, Email and Username.

Thank you.

#68 2012-10-07 4:44 pm

mcflakie

didn't want to start a new thread to say what everyone is already saying on this one i really want to say thank you so much for this service ive lost 4 forums this year alone to this spam rubbish ive had to sell domains for next to nothing it's cost me my whole online presence, In a major way and made me look bad when i crack a na nah and ban everyone, even the good members cause it's just out of control and too much work to manage. Bless you and your cotton socks guys /girls for your outstanding service that im sure prob cops a beat it's self by ticked of spammers i take my hat off to you all just brilliant Bless. i know ill have many more spammers as ive just open 2 new forums tonight and already after 10 mins i have 4 spammers it's unbelievable, so you will be seeing lots of me i fear hopefully for good reasons to but i bet it will be to report these snakes destroying business world wide.

Thank you so much once again truly a great service ill make sure i make a donation as soon as i can.

Learn as if you were to live forever, Live as if you were to die tomorrow. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#69 2012-10-08 3:13 am

zaphod
Jägermonster
Website

Before I wrote my own script to deal with spammers, I used to have sleepless nights worrying about them.

Now, I sometimes go a week without checking, might only find a couple of profile spammers a month. Maybe one spam post caught in the moderation queue... it's as tho the spammers don't love me anymore! sad BWAAAAAAAAAAAH................AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAH tongue!

Zap wink

Get Protected, Stay Protected...
With ZB Block, GNU/GPL Freeware Anti-Spam/Anti-Hack protection for your php based website.

Little boxes in the server farm, little boxes running php...

#70 2012-10-08 3:19 am

Snowhog
Website

Since September 21, 2012, our forum has been protected by Spam-O-Matic which screens registrants against StopForumSpam's database. As of today, 1005 registered spammers have been prevented from getting an account. I am very happy.

Administrator - Kubuntu Forums . Net
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes
Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007

#71 2012-10-20 11:57 pm

TheVisitors
Website

Stop Forum Spam has been helping keep our site spam free since Oct 15 2010, which is almost a month after we opened on September 7, 2010.

Always glad to know this place keeps on ticking.

#72 2012-10-22 12:59 am

BlackFox

I'd like to echo what everyone else has said. We came across a mod for our forum, which led to this site. We've always had a method of keeping spammers out, but by adding the mod that uses Stop Forum Spam, it has kept the forum clean and less time checking up on registrants. Our moderators are happy, and we admin can continue to work on other tasks rather than just tracking/checking/banning spammers.

Our compliments to this site and those involved. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

#73 2012-10-29 9:12 pm

ekidman

I just also wanted to send a thanks out to all the contributors to this database. We use stopforumspam for one of our drupal sites, and it has blocked 100% of our spammers so far. Really a fantastic solution to take that aspect out of my life. Thank You all!

#74 2012-10-29 9:19 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Its nice not to get a death threat just once in a while smile

#75 2012-11-05 10:02 pm

wizard_tpg

Thank you for helping the fight against spammers

Board footer