You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-24 4:09 am

Russ

Changes, Upgrades, Enhancements

Watch this thread for announcements about stuff I've done to help make things easier and better.

I have a full time job and we're getting ready to sell a house, so my time to devote here is limited. Still, a lot is planned and I get to stuff when I can. Most improvements come from suggestions, so keep those coming.

Tonight I modified the add form to auto populate your API key, provided you are logged into the forum and your email address is the same as your API key you signed up with. I you have multiple API keys it grabs the first one.

#2 2011-02-03 5:47 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Re: Changes, Upgrades, Enhancements

Ive started with the framework for supporting IPv6 but I want to get this code revision out and then Ill fix all the IPv6 code.

#3 2011-02-03 5:52 pm

Katana

pedigree wrote:

Ive started with the framework for supporting IPv6 but I want to get this code revision out and then Ill fix all the IPv6 code.

Yeap.

I think the last few /8's should hold us for a while, but after that all hell will break loose as countries start moving over.

うるさいうるさいうるさい!

#4 2011-07-27 5:00 pm

Gaieus
Website

I do not know if there is a more proper place to post "feature requests" so here is a minor one:

When listing an IP or email or anything, it would be nice if we could see whether we have reported it already. Maybe even better; when listing an IP for instance and there are a bunch of entries on the page, it would be nice to see a small mark (even just a dot or something) next to OUR entries.

I do not often/always ban IP's that come with the spammers. So it would be a handy tool to see if I have received multiple spam from the same IP (this could be a consideration whether to ban or not to ban...).

Just like many forum software allows some visual distinction made between topics you posted and those you did not.

Gai...

#5 2011-07-27 5:23 pm

somdcomputerguy
Website

When listing an IP or email or anything, it would be nice if we could see whether we have reported it already.

I have a rather small list of submissions (around 500), and I regularly input new ones. So, usually, I can easily remember if I've submitted something. But for IP addresses, and something I just can't remember, I just filter it (name, email, or IP) thru my MySpammers page.. This is just a workaround for the quoted situation, and a laborious one at that, especially with more than two 'submissions' to 'check' at a time. It's just what I do because it works for me.

-bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

#6 2011-07-27 5:29 pm

Gaieus
Website

Well, that may work for a smaller number of submissions but I have 4300+ ATM (according to the contributors page but I think that's also not all the count) so that would be a bit of a hassle to scroll and click on new pages to search (I fill about a page and a half or two a month under My spammers).

I can certainly do that for recent spammers though...

Last edited by Gaieus (2011-07-27 5:29 pm)

Gai...

#7 2011-09-08 2:37 am

Wizzle
Website

This has noting to do with the functionality of the site.
But...it's more of a small feature I think many would like.

On the userstats and historygraph pages, it would be nice to have the average per xxx shown kinda like so.

Daily Submissions (average 123 per day)
{Daily Graph}
Weekly Submissions (average 123 per week)
{Weekly Graph}
Monthly Submissions (average 123 per month)
{Monthly Graph}
Yearly Submissions (average 123 per year)
{Yearly Graph}

or drop the year average and make it
hour
day
week
month

This would make it very easy for users to tell exactly how much their spam has risen or fallen.

#8 2011-11-17 7:18 pm

Katana

Feature request.  When reporting via the API, using a serialized format (such as f=json), and doing a POST submission that includes evidence, can the API provide either a link to or the ID of the evidence entry in the JSON response?

うるさいうるさいうるさい!

#9 2011-11-17 9:13 pm

pedigree

Sure, it can report that.  Ill also do the average thing.  I was going to move it all to RRD but a rrd graph per user was getting a little silly smile

#10 2011-11-20 12:39 am

Katana

Bug - API is returning modified data as the keys for JSON replies when doing multi-queries.  It should probably be using the unmodified, requested form instead, as this requires workarounds on the client's end when working with languages that have case-sensitive array indexes (like PHP).  This is a nasty gotcha that just bit me hard and took me an hour+ to figure out.
I found that username lookups are affected, and email addresses are likely affected as well.

うるさいうるさいうるさい!

#11 2011-12-27 9:42 pm

pedigree

Today I've had to make changed to the following pages

search

• Added an exact phrase option in the advanced details.

• Added a restriction of a minimum three characters to search for when not using an exact match.  This was because of it stressing out the database.

• 1000 searches a day limit added, this again was due to people using it as an attack vector on the site.

• Reworked the query so that you should get faster results.

• Fixed a bug with @domain.tld type searches so that it wont return non-related results when we have no records for that domain.

myspammers

• Reworked the queries so that people with a lot of submissions should get a faster page load.

countries

• Reworked the queries to reduce database stress.

#12 2012-03-27 10:18 pm

bcworkz

I scanned this thread rather quickly, apologies if I duplicate anything previously discussed.

As a new user, I found some information a bit lacking on the sfs site that would have been useful. I eventually figured things out, but it took an effort that may be beyond the call of duty for some users. The information I'm asking for is available somewhere in the forums, but it took a lot of searching and reading to find some of it. My main point is that it's not readily available, but should be. Sorry about the long post, rest assured that what I'm asking for is a lot shorter than this post!

1. I appreciate your attitude of "here's our data, do with it as you see fit." However, you are in part creating your own headaches by not at least suggesting how the data might be used. My immediate action as a new user was to ban anyone who had a email or IP in the database, no matter how old or how few listings. Fortunately, my site has very low traffic, so I don't think anyone was wrongly banned before I changed my ways.

If new users could easily find a brief How-To on considering all the evidence before banning someone, and that mere existence in the database is not proof of spamming, hopefully your workload of dealing with false positives would be diminished.

2. The evidence box can be a powerful tool with the right data. But there's nothing on the Add Spam Data page that indicates it's important, even if optional, or what 'evidence' even is. A brief note about what sort of evidence you want would encourage users to add useful data. As it is now, it sort of reads like "leave this field blank." to someone not paying a lot of attention.

3. It's not clear even what is considered reportable spam, or if new activity should be reported of known spammers. I know this info can be found in the forums, but a brief definition on the add data page would be useful, further details can still be hashed out in the forums. There are a lot of people that would rather submit bad data than search a forum, but they might heed a note right in front of them. End result is better data quality.

4. While we're on the add spam data page,  the importance of verifying emails before submitting  should be noted, and what to do if it cannot be verified.

5. It's not clear on the API usage page how to format a submission that includes evidence. I was nearly about to try simply guessing (would have been right 1st try, tbh) before I found the answer. And again, some info on what you are looking for as evidence, what is reportable spam, and importance of verified emails may be worth reiterating here, or at least a link to the same info contained elsewhere.

I know you guys are busy, but adding some basic info here and there wouldn't take too much time and would help new users quite a bit, and may even reduce your workload of clearing false positives and could improve data quality. I understand how easy it is for a seasoned user to overlook the lack of useful new user information, so I hope my fresh, new user perspective is helpful. Cheers!

#13 2012-03-27 10:21 pm

pedigree

Now that is great feedback, the type of feedback that I can work on.  Im doing 80 hour weeks at the moment but Ill book mark this and get working on it as soon as I can get some spare time.

#14 2012-03-28 1:22 am

Patti L.
Website

I would be happy to help write up a template or something if it would help, Pedigree.
I've done a fair amount of "How to use this forum" stuff for the board I'm on.
And since I am not code savvy, I would probably do a decent job of putting it into layman's terms for the new people to use.

In fact, given that we haven't had anyone actually manage to post spam to our board for some absurd amount of time, it wouldn't hurt me to refresh my memory on the procedure and lay it out step by step for myself, so you might as well benefit by it, along with everyone else coming in.

Rolled high intelligence and low wisdom.
"Everything in life is unusual until you get accustomed to it." ~~ Frank L. Baum
Well, at least my vortex is fluffy.

#15 2012-03-28 1:35 am

Katana

Considering some of the personal stuff going on for ped that he's let us staffies know of, that probably would be most appreciated.

If you have anything drafted at all, please PM one of the staff with what you've got so we can work with you and get it polished & hammered out . smile

うるさいうるさいうるさい!

#16 2012-03-28 1:58 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

I am almost late for work, now too, but briefly , some excellent points are brought up in this thread,..
A template could be very helpful,...I am also going to keep following this, but got tor run now,
from Garry

#17 2012-03-28 4:08 pm

pedigree

I would love to have you help Patti smile  If you have some time, I would really appreciate taking up your offer.

#18 2012-03-29 2:52 am

Patti L.
Website

More time than money, as the saying has it.  I'll start tomorrow.

Rolled high intelligence and low wisdom.
"Everything in life is unusual until you get accustomed to it." ~~ Frank L. Baum
Well, at least my vortex is fluffy.

Board footer