You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-03 3:59 am

donaldsj

I have a suggestion for the website.

I am recording a YouTube video to show people how to add and remove things from this website and service. However, there is one key feature that I believe is missing. You are unable to delete or revoke your own API keys. Can you please contact the webmaster or someone who can add new features to the site and see if they can Allow people to delete their own API keys? I believe this would be very good for people who would like their information deleted off of peoples servers, especially if they are the ones who created the information in the first place. This is just my thought. Thanks.

#2 2023-01-03 6:47 am

Alex Kemp
Website

Re: I have a suggestion for the website.

Hi donaldsj

I've sent a PM to pedigree, asking him to respond to your post asap.

#3 2023-01-03 7:20 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

its on my list of things to do as well

#4 2023-01-03 9:29 pm

NeoFox
Website

I don't know about this. We're taught in college that as soon as you "delete the golden egg" aka any data in SQL there's just no coming back from that. You can maybe get lucky on a backup but the idea still remains. You know what I mean?

"I believe this would be very good for people who would like their information deleted off of peoples servers, especially if they are the ones who created the information in the first place."

I mean is that not sus? Are we not at all going to question motivations and intentions with something like that anymore?

Avenue 1:
They get the link traffic through botnet "A". Both parties agree such traffic has happened and the money exchanges. But oh no, lets delete all evidence of said traffic to appease both parties as well and allow this practice to continue.

Avenue 2:
They post a few forum spam links while holding a SFS key and once the "clicks" are generated they delete the forum posts all in one big mouse click here on SFS.

Avenue 3:
Generating and then deleting keys will further help the goals and agendas of the undesirables who are likely monitoring the network and their black-hat products to ensure sales. Generating and deleting keys would give them a major piece of the pie and unbeknownst to anyone in network security they were doing such activities.

Last edited by NeoFox (2023-01-03 9:34 pm)

#5 2023-01-03 10:03 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

donaldsj wrote:

one key feature that I believe is missing. You are unable to delete or revoke your own API keys

1. Let's first remind everyone that the sole purpose of an API Key is to be able to report spam into the API of this website
    (everyone can read the API; only key-holders can write to the API).

2. Removing a key may not remove the reported spam.

I do not believe that allowing folks to remove their own Key(s) will compromise the site Data, as long as spam reported by a removed key remains within the database.

#6 2023-01-04 6:11 pm

NeoFox
Website

Well forgive my ignorance that changes everything lol.

#7 2023-01-05 9:47 pm

pedigree

i have some code that i need to test that will allow someone to edit the api key details and remove their api key.

it will remove all reports submitted with that key, included the submission stats for that key

#8 2023-01-06 9:04 am

Alex Kemp
Website

pedigree wrote:

it will remove all reports submitted with that key, included the submission stats for that key

A bad idea imo unless there are over-riding reasons to remove the spammer data.

#9 2023-01-06 1:43 pm

NeoFox
Website

If we're not going to fight the evil, and evil wins, the internet as we know it won't be free anymore.

These small time rats that are mostly what SFS fights against are not even recorded numbers for the most part. It's the collection of rats, the evil folks, that is the problem. They think its okay they make money "as an annoyance" with spam on forums and other places.

But they don't see the bigger picture because that's what makes them a rat. They'd be bigger game if they had any intelligence at all.

And that's what we must stand firm against.

Last edited by NeoFox (2023-01-06 1:45 pm)

#10 2023-01-06 6:32 pm

pedigree

its removed so that its doesnt become orphaned in the database.  foreign key constraints would otherwise blow up

#11 2023-01-06 7:41 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Thanks ped.

#12 2023-01-07 4:30 pm

NeoFox
Website

I have heard that interpol has a "fixed structure" within OVH to begin monitoring over there. So as the EU starts to finally get its head out of the sand, our jobs may become less and less of a necessity.

#13 2023-01-07 7:59 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

The amount of spam posted in these forums has diminished year-on-year. In addition, the amount of spam I get via email has done the same. This last Xmas period both forum & spam email have almost gone. In previous years, hitting September was a nightmare. Last Sep was a nothing burger.

#14 2023-01-08 9:10 pm

NeoFox
Website

I agree. While I can't prove other than Discrord chats, it appears the EU is taking spam seriously since TOR is predominately through the various EU exchanges. Also Taiwan and Singapore now have recently created tech laws I hear that provides jail time for e-mail spam (at least.)

So I think the proper authorities are finally starting to take our work seriously.

EDIT: I found one link [2020]: https://www.dataguidance.com/news/singa … a-and-spam this pretty much ensures no spam can originate from within Singapore "without consent."

EDIT2: Under my "study" bookmark folder I also found the Taiwan's final tech laws/ruling: https://iclg.com/practice-areas/data-pr … ons/taiwan

Last edited by NeoFox (2023-01-08 9:20 pm)

#15 2023-01-17 2:50 am

donaldsj

I am glad the admin is working on this feature. Another feature that may be useful is the ability to delete your own account, but there would be conditions. For example, you couldn't be banned, and you couldn't have any forum topics. Then, people who, for example, never used their account could simply delete it from the user pannel.

Board footer