You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-15 6:23 pm

4DavidR

Something wrong with the SFS sites search function

I help out on a support forum and monitor new posts users email against SFS, I do this manually no API used.

I have been doing this for years without issue, but very recently after entering the email/user name/IP address, etc. when hitting Search button, it returns a blank page.

This would appear to be connected to the DOCTYPE used in the search page and or the new Firefox 100 version and the doctype being used or missing.

DOCTYPE Problem wrote:

Modern browsers generally try to render HTML content according to the W3C recommendations. However, to provide compatibility with older web pages, and to provide additional "intuitive" functionality, all browsers support an alternative "quirks mode".

Quirks mode is not, however, a standard. The rendering of any page in quirks mode in different browsers may be different. Whenever possible, it is better to adhere to the W3C standards and try and avoid depending on any past or present browser quirks.

Generally, quirks mode is turned on when there is no correct DOCTYPE declaration, and turned off when there is a DOCTYPE definition. However, invalid HTML - with respect to the chosen DOCTYPE - can also cause the browser to switch to quirks mode.

It would appear that the new Firefox 100 version, doesn't support the fallback "quirks mode", so I get a blank page when entering a search.  Someone using the Firefox ESR version has no problem with the search function.  I'm also able to use the latest version of Chrome without issue. I would prefer to continue using my default Firefox browser.

#2 2022-05-15 9:08 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Re: Something wrong with the SFS sites search function

I've been trying to replicate this, without much luck so I'll look at this as a possible route to a fix.
Thanks for the info

#3 2022-05-15 10:28 pm

pedigree

I can replicate this now, so I hope to have a fix shortly

#4 2022-05-15 10:45 pm

pedigree

fixed

#5 2022-05-15 11:47 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Now, that's what I call service!

#6 2022-05-16 1:03 am

4DavidR

Thank you very much for the very prompt service and fix.

A very happy bunny, I can abandon Chrome now it is working in Firefox.

smile smile smile

#7 2022-05-19 1:25 pm

DLipman

I am glad this was resolved.  I reported it on 5/11 or 5/12 using;  https://www.stopforumspam.com/contact

I had used "User-Agent Switcher and Manager" and went between native Firefox v100 and a User-Agent of an older Firefox and was able to show this was an issue to the point where I created a demonstration video.

I should have posted in the Forum as I never did get a response from my use of the Contact page {sigh}

#8 2022-05-19 8:34 pm

NeoFox
Website

Group hug. On me folks. Not much of us good guys left lol.

Cmon, cmon bring it in. Yes even you in the back. Better skidaddle on over here.

Last edited by NeoFox (2022-05-19 8:35 pm)

Board footer