You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-24 11:58 pm

kg1

zb-block.net or spambotsecurity.com

What has happened to these websites? If they are both closed when did this happen?
Is JamesC and / or zaphod still active with ZB Block?
Your help would be very much appreciated.
kg1

#2 2020-05-25 1:13 am

Oblivian

Re: zb-block.net or spambotsecurity.com

Yep. May 9th even
https://zb-block.net/zbf/showthread.php?t=429

#3 2020-05-25 3:47 am

kg1

Thank you Oblivian. I guess www.spambotsecurity.com closed on the 9th May this year?
Is zb-block.net still operational? When I try this site I get "The connection was reset" and an address of 127.0.0.1
I am blocked out? I last used zb-block.net November 2018.

#4 2020-05-25 5:05 am

Maikuolan
Website

JamesC and Zaphod are two different people. Ergo, one of them no longer active, does not mean both of them. Spambot Security was the original, first home of ZB Block, maintained by Zaphod. When Zaphod became busy with other things in life and didn't have enough time to maintain ZB Block or Spambot Security anymore, JamesC took up the mantle, and created zb-block.net as the new home for ZB Block. The Spambot Security *domain* has been "registered" up until not too long ago, but the actual website *at* that domain hasn't been active for quite a number of years now. JamesC is still active, and zb-block.net is still active, so just use zb-block.net instead nowadays. Zaphod has also since registered an account at zb-block.net a while back, so both of them can be seen at zb-block.net nowadays. :-)

#5 2020-05-25 6:22 am

Papa Parrot
Website

kg1>Thank you Oblivian. I guess www.spambotsecurity.com closed on the 9th May this year?

No, spambotsecurity.com has been no longer running,...sheesh a couple of years now, off hand I don't remember, maybe 3 years, , maybe more.
https://zb-block.net/ Is active, https://zb-block.net/zbf/ is the forum,....

kg1t>When I try this site I get "The connection was reset" and an address of 127.0.0.1
I am blocked out?

It is not clear to me which site "this site" is,  but "connection was reset", does not sound like the kind of message you would get if you were blocked.

#6 2020-05-25 7:06 am

Alex Kemp
Website

This was my response to a direct (rather than via a link) connection to https://zb-block.net/zbf/ (all in garish red; we do not have a background-colour command, so you are saved from having to see that as well):-

(meta): 403 forbidden
       STOP!       READ THIS BEFORE CONTINUING!       STOP!     
This website runs a protection script to keep spammers, bots, and other unwanted connections away ... and the protection script found a problem with your connection.

The reason(s) your connection was interrupted are:
Please upgrade your browser, as yours is severely out of date (EOLB-1/C).

If you can fix the issue yourself (such as using a different browser, connecting through a different Internet provider, etc) please do so. Otherwise, PLEASE ALLOW AT LEAST 24 HOURS so the site administrator has a chance to look into the problem.

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.75 Safari/537.36 [ZBB4.2 en EU GB 5089 0]
Reconstructed URL: https:// zb-block.net /zbf/

It then goes on with a trouble-ticket that can be issued.

This is the sort of thing that used to happen in the early days of the internet when the assumption was that you were running Internet Explorer, and the website always threw a whoopsie if the browser was running something else.

For the record, I run an up-to-date copy of Devuan, and the browser that I was using is an up-to-date copy of Chromium (not Chrome). If they do not like that, then I never visit their site.

The trouble-ticket wants name + email address, and they are not going to get that.

Zaphod's site used to be (still may be, I do not know) run off a server located on his home box, so a 127.0.0.1 is possible. Again, cannot be certain.

#7 2020-05-25 8:23 am

kg1

I registered at spambotsecurity.com in July 2014 and exchanged messages with zaphod at that time. On 17 November 2018 I upgraded from 0.5 to 0.6.3 using instructions written by JamesC. I am definitely a registered user at zb-block.net and have not visited zb-block.net since November 2018. How do I communicate with JamesC if I can not access zb-block.net? Any help would be much appreciated.
@Papa Parrot Yes by "this" I mean zb-block.net
@Maikuolan I remember your user name on zb-block.net

Kevin Gordon

#8 2020-05-25 9:13 am

Oblivian

He hangs out here. Will notice thread in due course
Most the data appears to have been migrated to forums to save updating a site.

Visiting the top URL I get a black page with
ZB-Block Demo and Development Site
And a link to the forums.

#9 2020-05-25 6:38 pm

JamesC
Website

@kg1: flush your device's DNS recache. On a Windows machine, you would open a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns -- for Mac or Linux, look here: https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/how-to-flush-dns

Once you have flushed your DNS cache, try accessing ZB-Block.net again; if you are still blocked, please file a support ticket from the block screen so I can look into the issue.

@Alex: ZBB does not modify your browser's user-agent string. Please verify your user-agent against any "what is my user-agent?" website you prefer -- they will also report your device as a generic Linux box running Chrome/73.

As we all know, Chrome is built from Chromium. Since Chromium is currently at 83 (stable) and 84 (developer and beta) [source], your Chromium is 10 versions behind the current releases.

#10 2020-05-25 7:03 pm

kg1

Thank you Oblivian. I gained access by using IPVanish VPN and the link you provided above. Otherwise in IE and Firefox I get:
This page isn't working at the moment
127.0.0.1 didn’t send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE
This message I have not experienced on any other website.
Is there a browser that is more likely to work without using VPN?
Many thanks,
Kevin.

#11 2021-06-25 6:34 am

pennycsf
Website

I used to use ZB Block years ago, but have used Maikuolan's CIDRAM system for some time.
Interestingly, I have just tried to access zb-block.net and get the response

STOP!       READ THIS BEFORE CONTINUING!       STOP!     
This website runs a protection script to keep spammers, bots, and other unwanted connections away ... and the protection script found a problem with your connection.
The reason(s) your connection was interrupted are:
Spam (IPV6_ISPS:L2623).

This looks to me as if the ISP is blocked.
Since my ISP is ionos.fr, part of a company claiming to be the largest provider in Europe, I was surprised and checked by connecting to a  CIDRAM protected site with no problem.

It would be interesting to know what sources of data identifying "spammy" ISPs is used by ZB-Block.

Last edited by pennycsf (2021-06-29 2:27 pm)

It's a poor day when you don't learn something!

Board footer