You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-28 5:40 pm

brynn

check IP address no longer IDs spammer

Hi Friends,
There's a chance this is an issue with the SMF Bad Behavior mod I'm using.  But my first impression is that something changed about the way SFS works.  Anyway, please move this message, if it's in the wrong place.

Using the SMF BB mod, I can click on a small magnifying glass icon, which appears just to the left of the username, email address, and IP address, to find out if any of those variables have ever been reported to SFS.  Lately, clicking on the icon beside the IP address always finds 0 results.  Yet if I click the icon beside the email address, if the spammer has been reported, I see it in the results.  Once I see it there, I see that it's the exact same IP address.  But if I go back and try the icon by the IP address, it still is showing 0 results, even though clearly that IP has been reported.

I'm just curious why this is happening.  Or could something be broken with the BB mod?

Thanks for your help

#2 2018-01-28 5:49 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Re: check IP address no longer IDs spammer

""Or could something be broken with the BB mod?""

Is most likely,   what happens if you copy/paste the actual IP into the data base search , ?  It sounds to me like the little Icon thingy
is not really submitting any IP , to search for.

#3 2018-01-28 8:51 pm

NeoFox
Website

I bet you it's a case (quite often in SMF coding) where they do a "!=" sign and it spits back the unexpected "off" when it was thought to be "on." When I upgraded to 7.1 from 5.x on PHP a lot of things didn't work right and were being validated differently.

I dealt with those off/on issues in SMF a lot before I switched back (and stayed) with Fluxbb.

EDIT: Basically I'd have to take a look at the code but I bet since it's returning "all" values as no good, it's always returning a 0.
So:

• Returning the lookup features/values (most likely as a "$sfs" string) as 0 (off/no.)

• Assigning a variable a 0 (off/no.)

• Calling up the wrong variable and default values are always 0.

That's about the best I can surmise with what you've given us.

Last edited by NeoFox (2018-01-28 10:07 pm)

#4 2018-01-28 10:28 pm

brynn

I don't see how to quote.  But regarding pasting the IP into the search - I'll have to wait for another spammer to reg, to test.  (It's still a relatively small forum, and we don't get spammers every day.)

Oh wow.  Most of what BlueSage said is over my head.  I'm not much of a coder myself.  But should I report this to SMF?

Or else I'll be glad to provide you the mod package.

Hhm, just occurred to me, maybe there's an upgrade.  I know I checked recently, but...oh yeah, it's a really new upgrade. 

Let me take care of that, and I'll get back to you.  (Could be a while, I'll be away from computer for a couple of days this week.)

Thanks for your help!

#5 2018-01-28 10:38 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

In a nut shell, what bluesage is saying, simply , he has encountered  a lot of problems with the coding they use ins SMF software,.

You would be better off asking about this at the SMF forum, and if the author of the mod/pluggin has a topic / thread for support, that
is where to start.

I don't see how to quote.

This board uses "bbcode"  see : https://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/help.php#bbcode for details.

#6 2018-01-28 11:29 pm

NeoFox
Website

Yep. Although they have "1 click" installations for mods the code itself is pretty darn bad. But you have to think that all the developers there are for it...and the fact that SMF prides itself on lack of coding standard(s)...it kind of makes sense. Their only standard is to make it work with the file attachment (upload) section.

Which pushes a lot of code fixes/editing to the mod maker/owner only as just about every mod requires another "hook" to function properly and so no real DRY elements as everything becomes WET and repeat-able.

Last edited by NeoFox (2018-01-28 11:30 pm)

#7 2018-02-01 8:27 pm

brynn

Ok, thanks for the info.  Yes, I'm working with SMF support.  Didn't get the upgrade yet - got distracted.  But soon.

Sorry about giving the wrong name for the mod.  It's actually called Stop Spammer (not Bad Behavior).

Board footer