You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-09 10:14 am

Steve

Spammer Domains

Wasn't sure if I should email you or post in here.

In the list of Spammer Domains you have yahoo.co.uk.

Its actually as legit as yahoo.com or gmail and I have several users who use it (as I'm based in the UK).

Steve

#2 2007-12-09 4:38 pm

Russ

Re: Spammer Domains

You're correct, yahoo.co.uk should not be on the list. I've removed it. Thanks for the heads up.

#3 2007-12-10 10:20 am

Lothy
Website

Also on the list are the following:

mit.edu
aol.com
hotmail.com
googlemail.com

I believe these are also legit sites. smile

#4 2007-12-10 2:10 pm

susato

Yes, definitely take out those 4. 

If you get spambot postings with a university address which have completed email verification, these should be reported to the university.  The usual reporting address is abuse@ (e.g. abuse [at] mit [dot] edu)

University admins tend to be vigilant about spam from their domains.  They may not reply to you but they will whack the account as they can't afford to be blocked.

Also, I have noted that the admins at bluebottle.com always respond quickly and cheerfully to reports of forum spam.   Their helpful attitude is the reason I won't be adding bluebottle.com to my banlist.

#5 2007-12-10 2:15 pm

Russ

mit.edu
aol.com
hotmail.com
googlemail.com
bluebottle.com

all removed. Thanks.

#6 2008-01-30 3:00 am

KeeKee

hummmmm maybe I should re-think bluebottle. I was getting a lot of spam registrations from there.

#7 2008-01-30 10:48 am

susato

On my forum we require each new member to confirm their registration by responding to an authorization email. (and beyond that I also do human review)

I used to get a fair number of spambots from bluebottle which would confirm their registrations and force me to delete them at the human-review step. So I started reporting the bots to bluebottle's abuse staff (abuse at bluebottle.com) and found them both responsive and cheerful.

Now when a spambot tries to register from there, 19 times out of 20 bluebottle cancels the account before the spambot has a chance to confirm its registration. I know this because a "user unavailable" bounce message concerning the spambot shows up in my administrator email account. 

The same thing happens with spambots from mail.com, run by outblaze, possibly the most proactive anti-spam ISP out there. If bluebottle's record is up there near the best, I'm not inclined to block them.

Board footer