You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-17 8:43 pm

hype2120

Suggestions for Mac Users

Are there any good programs to block known Spammers IP addresses for use on a Mac. (I also use the Mac Mail program which has pretty good filters.) But lately, I've been inundated with Spam from the offshore and/or Canadian pharmacies. They all seem to come from hotmail. I'm at the point where I might block all hotmail -- but obviously I run the risk of missing an email I may want from a legit hotmail user. If the only way to block particular IP addresses, requires my going into the Unix shell and giving computer some commands, oy, that might be over my head. I am not the most tech savvy person. Not completely tech deficient. I just hate messing with Unix commands. Very good with the Mac OS, not so strong with the shell commands. Just wondering if there is a customizable plug-in or anything available for the Mac user. I have to find a way to stop the constant barrage of offshore pharmacy spam that really annoys the heck out of me during the work day. Yes, I know -- whatever I do -- they will figure out a way to get around it. Sigh. This feels like a hopeless, endless battle.

#2 2010-07-17 8:59 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Re: Suggestions for Mac Users

This site doesnt deal with email spam

#3 2010-07-17 9:49 pm

hype2120

I apologize for my question.

#4 2010-07-18 1:09 am

MacHeadCase
Website

hype2120 wrote:

Are there any good programs to block known Spammers IP addresses for use on a Mac. (I also use the Mac Mail program which has pretty good filters.) But lately, I've been inundated with Spam from the offshore and/or Canadian pharmacies. They all seem to come from hotmail. I'm at the point where I might block all hotmail -- but obviously I run the risk of missing an email I may want from a legit hotmail user. If the only way to block particular IP addresses, requires my going into the Unix shell and giving computer some commands, oy, that might be over my head. I am not the most tech savvy person. Not completely tech deficient. I just hate messing with Unix commands. Very good with the Mac OS, not so strong with the shell commands. Just wondering if there is a customizable plug-in or anything available for the Mac user. I have to find a way to stop the constant barrage of offshore pharmacy spam that really annoys the heck out of me during the work day. Yes, I know -- whatever I do -- they will figure out a way to get around it. Sigh. This feels like a hopeless, endless battle.

The best email spam protection on a Mac from reviews I read is SpamSieve but as far as I know it won't block IP addresses.

I've also heard of SpamAssassin and stumbled upon this nifty How To.

Maybe you could try looking up MacUpdate and see if they have anything to offer over there.

You could also create rules in Mail.app and ask it to delete immediately mail coming from certain email addresses.

Board footer