You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-04 9:45 am

Grunth0s

Question about query limits

I was just wondering if the query limit is associated with the IP address, or domain name of the host querying the database.

My server uses shared hosting, which means that I share my IP with 29 other web sites.

I've noticed recently that I am getting a number of errors with the database lookups, and suspect that the 5000 limit has been reached. A check of my logs shows I am probably doing somewhere in the region of 100-150 lookups per day for new registrations on my board.

Is it possible that the other web sites, hosted with the same IP are contributing to lookup count?

#2 2010-01-04 10:11 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Re: Question about query limits

Its based solely on IP address.  We knew this would be an issue with shared hosting.  Please email me the ip address of the shared host or post it here and Ill look at the logs.

#3 2010-01-04 10:20 am

Grunth0s

Thanks for the quick response.

Information mailed as requested smile

#4 2010-01-06 11:08 am

Grunth0s

Pedigree,

If you get a few seconds at some point today, can you have another look at your logs please?

Particularly interested in the period from 10.30pm last night, until about 4.30am this morning.

For most of that period, I was able to successfully query the SFS database, and block registrations. Before, and after that period I was experiencing errors.

It would be beneficial to identify if you were seeing my queries during that period, and the volume of queries seen.

My host is not being particularly helpful, basically refusing to update the hosts file on the cluster my site resides on (which I am sure would have rectified the problem).

I still don't believe that the name resolution from my site is working correctly, the test script only returns an IP address when the connection to the database is working properly, and at all other times, no IP is returned, just the domain name.

**edit** Nearly forgot ... those are UK times about ... GMT/UTC

Last edited by Grunth0s (2010-01-06 11:33 am)

#5 2010-01-06 11:52 am

pedigree

check your email

#6 2010-01-06 12:04 pm

pedigree

if you have access to a cron job system, run the php file that i got you to create and log the output of it, run it every 10 minutes or so

#7 2010-01-06 12:06 pm

pedigree

We will be moving the server shortly to a new box and new IP

#8 2010-01-06 12:28 pm

Grunth0s

pedigree wrote:

We will be moving the server shortly to a new box and new IP

Dedicated or shared?

Please let it be dedicated wink

#9 2010-01-16 10:38 pm

bplein

I help administer the servers for a large VBulletin-based site that also has other domains (and their own VB sites) on it as well.

We've recently seen a string of people being denied access due to inability to access the spammer database. I suspect we've exceeded our query limit.

I'm interested in finding out if we are indeed hitting a limit, and if so, is there something we can do to continue to take advantage of this great service, but reduce the load on your server. I'm not sure I can take advantage of the DNSBL alternative (more code to write)

I will send you a message with the possible IP addresses of our servers.

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

#10 2010-01-17 4:50 pm

pedigree

bplein wrote:

I help administer the servers for a large VBulletin-based site that also has other domains (and their own VB sites) on it as well.

We've recently seen a string of people being denied access due to inability to access the spammer database. I suspect we've exceeded our query limit.

I'm interested in finding out if we are indeed hitting a limit, and if so, is there something we can do to continue to take advantage of this great service, but reduce the load on your server. I'm not sure I can take advantage of the DNSBL alternative (more code to write)

I will send you a message with the possible IP addresses of our servers.

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Check your email for details

#11 2010-01-17 5:14 pm

bplein

Thanks for the quick response. You (and your service here) rock!

Board footer