You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-26 11:44 pm

crfriend

Not "spam" but rather "ratware misfire"

It's not spam, per se, but rather a very confused bot or an entirely clueless human.

I'm entirely likely to pull the trigger on sig-spam, or spam in the "website" field in the phpBB forum I run, but this one has me scratching my head.  Perhaps it belongs in "Stupid Spammer Tricks"?

In any event, I got one this evening claiming to be from Italy (I haven't bothered to look it up; go ahead and call me lazy), but the "Occupation" field lists "Disfunzione Erettile", and "Interests" of "Farmacia Milano".  I swear I'm not making this up.

The funniest part is that the "Signature" block contains and empty {url}{/url} pair and precisely nothing else.

So, no submission, but still...

#2 2016-07-27 1:27 am

Alex Kemp
Website

Re: Not "spam" but rather "ratware misfire"

“ratware”? Well, yes; I like it.

#3 2016-07-27 10:15 am

crfriend

Re: Not "spam" but rather "ratware misfire"

"Ratware" was the term generally applied to any piece of programming designed to send (e-mail) spam back when I was active the the e-mail anti-spam space several years back.

The typical "misfire" was when a message was successfully sent but was lacking the payload.  It was astonishing how many of those were seen when botnets were first being developed.  Sadly, the botnets have gotten more sophisticated.

Board footer