You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-16 7:16 pm

Notething
Website

Registraion Spam

So here's my problem.
I don't have enough info to contribute information to you guys.
I easily can obtain the Usernames and E-Mails address' but I have NO way of telling what IP they used on registration.
The only reason I have Registration info is this;
The only way I seen to stop spam on my forum was to remove guest posting abilities and make it admin only activation. The only problem is that I now have to clean around 20 or so users a day, and I didn't log in for several days, so I am now swamped with spam users. They usually sign up between 1:00PM and 4:00PM my time, CST.
It's really hard to go through each of these and delete them for I am not the owner of the forum, just the only admin of the two who gives a care to go and do something about all of this.
I have spoken to the other admin and he agrees that spam registrations are a bother and has admitted to deleting a few accounts.
The next piece is that we don't have access to the files of our hosting anymore. It was given to us free, and while they seem content to still allow us to use the internet space, we can not access the content. I am not the one who obtained this, so I have little information about the actual situation. When I have a chance I will talk to the other admin, who is the same guy who obtained the host, and have him give me the details of what is going on, or ask him to come here and talk to you guys also.

So anyway, I have a bunch of e-mails, a couple of which I did not already find in your database. I have no usernames with the most of my e-mails, no easy way to make a list of these usernames and e-mails and no IPs at all. Our forum doesn't keep IPs storred. So, what can I do with the little information I have?

#2 2008-04-17 3:03 pm

MysteryFCM
Website

Re: Registraion Spam

What forum software are you using?

Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

#3 2008-04-17 3:10 pm

Notething
Website

Thought I had said that, guess not.
phpBB

#4 2008-04-17 3:15 pm

the123king

Notething wrote:

Thought I had said that, guess not.
phpBB

phpBB2? If so, i would reccomend downloading the Anti-Spam ACP and installing it for your forums. It has many options you can configure and it has a log which wil log their username, email address and IP address if they either try to post a URL without the required post count, or fill in a field in registration they shouldn't of. Very powerdful stuff.

you can download the Anti-Spam ACP from the downloads page here:
http://www.stopforumspam.com/downloads/

If you find any bugs weith it, report them to me, since i am in contriol of development of it 8)

#5 2008-04-17 3:16 pm

MysteryFCM
Website

I don't suppose you'd happen to have cPanel (or similar), or phpMyAdmin? (if not, you'll need to wait until you have access to modify the forum software).

If so, you should possibly be able to install the anti-spam mod thats posted on these forums ....

http://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/t97- … 2.0-PHPBB2

/edit

Bah, you beat me to it, hehe ....

Last edited by MysteryFCM (2008-04-17 3:16 pm)

Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

#6 2008-04-17 3:25 pm

Notething
Website

Well that's the thing, I don't know if we have access. I never had a chance to talk to the other Admin. He never answered his phone nor got online. I suppose he was busy. I'll try to get him later today.

Board footer