You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-04 4:51 pm

yaxort45

Incorrectly added to the database

To start with, this all seems like a cruel case of irony. I signed up to a forum using a disposable email address for the only purpose to avoid recieving spam. I assume the forum admin got a bit upset when he didn't acquire a valid address that he could then resell and decided to add me to the database without any proof, because there aren't any. No posts were made from the account, no links listed anywhere. A username, password and an email address was the only information I provided.

I've sent a removal request and am patiently awaiting a response but I fear it's all in vain as it's not in accordance with the rules. The removal request must be sent from the address in the database which is impossible as it was disposable. My question is how I'm supposed to deal with this? I'm already being prevented access to a site I use daily and I've been refused to sign up to another because I'm in the database.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2021-05-04 5:22 pm

kpatz

Re: Incorrectly added to the database

Such a submission is against SFS's submission rules so it will be removed once a moderator gets wind of it.  You may want to send a Private Message to pedigree who runs this site, with your info (IP, disposable email and username) and he'll check it out for you.

A lot of spammers use disposable email addresses so that's why some boards discourage/disallow the use of them, and they can ban your account for using one if it's in their rules, but they can NOT submit your info here unless you actually spammed, in a post, PM, or on your profile.

Last edited by kpatz (2021-05-04 5:23 pm)

Spam happens when greed meets stupidity.

#3 2021-05-04 5:38 pm

yaxort45

That's very reassuring, thank you!

I sent the removal request the day before yesterday and I'm aware that this site is volunteer-run so I thought it best to give them some time to read and respond to it, but it's very good to know that I have options.

Yes, I am aware of that but the thought never crossed my mind that I might be added to a blacklist simply by signing up with one of those addresses. A lot of forums require registrations to view certain posts so I create one-off accounts, but as I previously stated, the accounts are never used for spamming and I doubt there's even an ordinary post attached to any of them. I've definitely learned my lesson and will be using a regular address from now on.

#4 2021-05-04 9:04 pm

kpatz

If you're concerned about sites selling your email address, a lot of email providers let you create aliases or alternate addresses you can use.  Then if one gets sold (or more likely scraped by a spambot), you can delete/remove that alias.

Disposable emails are often abused by spammers, which is why some sites don't allow them.

Spam happens when greed meets stupidity.

#5 2021-05-04 11:58 pm

yaxort45

My main concern is keeping my inbox as clean as I can without having to add a bunch of spam filters constantly. I do feel a bit stupid for not seeing this coming though but on the plus side, I learned that this site actually exists.

I appreciate the tip and I will definitely go that route instead. Haven't looked into it previously but I'm fairly certain I should be able to create aliases with gmail and that's going to be my go-to in the future to avoid situations like this.

#6 2021-05-05 10:04 am

Alex Kemp
Website

kpatz wrote:

(dB submissions) it will be removed once a moderator gets wind of it

The one person that can alter this site's list of spammers is pedigree. Not a single Mod has such access.

Added:
FWIW when first I saw your name ('yaxort45') I thought ("this is a spammer"). Your username on this site has the classic format used by spammers.

#7 2021-05-05 1:36 pm

yaxort45

Alex Kemp wrote:

The one person that can alter this site's list of spammers is pedigree. Not a single Mod has such access.

Added:
FWIW when first I saw your name ('yaxort45') I thought ("this is a spammer"). Your username on this site has the classic format used by spammers.

Does that also mean that pedigree is the only one that handles the removal requests? I would appreciate your opinion on whether or not I stand a chance with my request as it's not in accordance with the rules. Will it just be rejected automatically as the addresses doesn't match?

I don't blame you for thinking that as it's not a "real" username. It's derived from a mail account I created alongside my personal one for the sole purpose of signing up to sites I didn't really trust or were planning on using frequently. Something happened over time where I got so pedantic that I didn't even wanna risk getting spam or ads in the inbox I created for just that purpose.

#8 2021-05-05 3:22 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

I've no idea.

I understand why you may decide to use a disposable email address, but do not know how pedigree deals with those (there is every chance that they are ignored).

Send him a PM giving a link to this thread.

#9 2021-05-05 3:58 pm

yaxort45

Done! I appreciate all the assistance you've provided so far.

Board footer