You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-09 7:57 pm

KjRose

Can't ban this smart Apple

So his actual IP is this:

<redacted>

But he appears on the site with this:

I can't ban 0.0.0.0 but I can the IP and its ineffective. this person lurks on my day after day

#2 2019-06-09 11:06 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Re: Can't ban this smart Apple

How do you know the difference between his actual IP & his appearance IP?

The most frequent cause of IP problems is proxy servers, in which (depending on the software utilised) at your end you may be seeing the wrong IP. Then we have the complications of Cloudflare.

This is from the SFS FAQ:

The IP must be the actual IP used to contact the forum or blog. If your forum is behind a reverse proxy such as Cloudflare, you'll need to find the origin IP to submit. If a visit comes from a web proxy or other service, you report the web proxy IP, not the IP address that it may claim it is forwarding for.

If you are unsure then you need to contact your server admin. It is always possible to find the origin IP (else your server could not return anything), but sometimes you have to jump through some hoops to get it.

#3 2019-06-11 12:35 am

KjRose

this is how I got the IP's  I run stopforumspam on my simple machine forum   hence the 0.0.0.0 Ip which I clicked in the icon and it brought me to this listed user this IP with this IP:

<redacted by mod>

I don't use Cloudfare. I like an open forum when running an e-book site but this person is on daily and itt annoys me hahah

#4 2019-06-11 12:41 am

Alex Kemp
Website

You need to approach the Simple Machine forum. It is almost certainly a setup issue, but they are likely to be the quickest ones that will be able to help.

#5 2019-06-11 10:49 am

Oblivian

Probably find its Vietnam.

I've seen users come in from FPT Telecom, Who host proxy and reverse lookup to 'localhost' from Vbulletin.

#6 2019-06-13 5:33 pm

KjRose

Okay thank you The reason I want to ban him is I have stop forum spam for simple machines and when I clicked on the icon itt drew me to the redacted IP ...

#7 2019-06-15 3:41 pm

NeoFox
Website

Hmmmmmm.

This makes me wonder.

They can spoof the IP given via the PHP server commands and I've often wondered if maybe that ZBlock option we have available on here is just the "final straw" proven approach to such things. Know what I'm saying? (This made MUCH more sense in my head than me trying to type it out lol.)

Last edited by NeoFox (2019-06-15 3:41 pm)

#8 2019-06-15 7:40 pm

KjRose

That's not all, some that come on have invalid IP's  its funny because I have a free forum with free e-books and videos so why but for reasons of  destruction would these people want to log in? At any rate I suppose I have to manually add them on my htaccess because cpanel will nit accept the range

#9 2019-06-16 1:52 am

Oblivian

Most of the time, it's not malicious or to cause destruction. They're being paid to drop links on random places for google to index.

And when paid based on how many you promise, or prove you have dropped based on statistics. They'll use any tactic necessary to do it. And on as many known forum or blogs as possible in a short time before being caught.

Have a look up 'blackhat SEO', and what it entails. Specifically word stuffing, paid links, guestbook links, and redirects

#10 2019-06-16 12:00 pm

NeoFox
Website

@KjRose htaccess should be a last--last resort.

Everything that a web request calls up...every image...every css file...everything gets read/filtered through .htaccess. You want to keep that as tidy as all possible.

Board footer