You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-01 7:53 am

CyberShadow

Very frequent connection time-outs

Hello,

I'm using SFS as one of the spam engines on  forum.dlang.org

Recently I've been seeing a very large number of connection time-outs. In the past 3 days, about one third of all attempts to query SFS have resulted in a time-out.

Is there any reason why this might be occurring?

#2 2019-04-03 3:24 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Re: Very frequent connection time-outs

Actually there are many reasons this can occur, but you do not give enough details.
Maybe some logs , showing the time outs ? What OS is the server ? Show us what kind of code you are using to make the query to SFS.

#3 2019-04-03 6:21 pm

CyberShadow

Hi, thank you for your response.

Here are all the times the forum tried to query StopForumSpam since the failures started:
https://dump.thecybershadow.net/9663e54feaa00c37bfeb746ea5da3579/18%3A18%3A34-upload.txt

The OS is Linux. The code is here, but I'm not sure how helpful that is as it's a custom stack and the failures occur during connection (before any data is sent or received):
https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/blob/master/src/dfeed/web/spam/stopforumspam.d

#4 2019-04-03 8:13 pm

CyberShadow

I just noticed that StopForumSpam is using Cloudflare. This means that any connection issues would be due to something between us and CloudFlare. I'll keep looking, but there's probably nothing StopForumSpam can do about it. Thanks.

#5 2019-04-03 8:17 pm

CyberShadow

Ah, just noticed that the API endpoint is now api.stopforumspam.org. I will try changing that and see how that goes.

#6 2019-04-04 12:39 am

Papa Parrot
Website

The one person that might know something is Pedigree, he is pretty busy but does check in every so often.
I see what you mean on ""times the forum tried to query StopForumSpam since the failures started""

Let us know if changing API endpoint is now api.stopforumspam.org makes any difference,  I am sure when Pedigree see this he will have some questions and comments, if he needs any additional information he will ask for it as well,..  He also may be aware of some changes that he made that may be affecting this.

#7 2019-04-05 2:41 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

can you change the URL from www.stopforumspam.com/api to api.stopforumspam.org/api ?  This should help as it gives you access to 4 servers instead of just the one.

I have seen the random monitoring report the odd 1 minute downtime.  in effect this means one missed URL looking.  I'm working on how/when/why this is happening.  I've spent all weekend working on code optimizations that I hope will further reduce any timeout issues.

#8 2019-05-09 2:21 pm

JesterMagic

I have been experiencing a large amount of timeouts as well. Looking at the code I see we are using the url:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/api

for api calls. I will switch to:

http://api.stopforumspam.org/api

and hopefully this will fix the issue.

#9 2019-05-10 10:56 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

you aren't the only one to notice this, as I started noticing it over the last couple of days when myself and a friend were looking at a better way to globally route traffic for codebase still using www.stopforumspam.com/api

were you getting connection timeout errors or connection aborted?  It would really help me out to know more about what you were seeing.  There was a threefold increase in API requests over the last two days but Ive not seen any blips on the monitoring for the same period

Board footer