You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-07 4:41 pm

Maybe

Submitting Multiple IPs for a user

On our site we track the ip that the user posts, the ip the register onto the site with, and also the one they've used to log in.

As far as I can tell you can only submit one IP address and I'm wondering if there's a way to submit multiple IP addresses.

#2 2019-03-07 5:08 pm

kpatz

Re: Submitting Multiple IPs for a user

If you have the IP address of the post, I'd submit that one.

In the past, Pedigree has suggested also submitting the entry with the registration IP so that gets recorded as well (make 2 submissions with the same evidence/post), but I don't know if he still recommends this.  My thought is, if a spammer registers from IP A and posts his spam from IP B, and you only submit IP B, the spammer could still register on other sites from IP A and not get blocked, until he posts spam from IP B.

Of course, if the spammer registers and posts from the same IP, only submit once.

Last edited by kpatz (2019-03-07 5:08 pm)

Spam happens when greed meets stupidity.

#3 2019-03-08 2:37 am

Papa Parrot
Website

When there is more the one IP involved, I include that in the evidence, it is common that they register with one IP, but later when they post they use another IP. Both are important, submitting the IP used to register may help prevent the same spammer registering to other forums.  The IP when they post also should be submitted, and yes that means 2 submissions are needed,...

#4 2019-03-08 12:27 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

The same is true if multiple email addresses are used. And yes, that can become a true pain as it means multiple reports to get every IP Address & Email Address included (recall that username/IP/email are needed for *every* report).

#5 2019-03-08 6:05 pm

kpatz

With most forums, if multiple email addresses are used, that means the spammer registered multiple times (and posted spam from each, to make them submittable here), so each one would have to be submitted separately.

Even if a site (such as a blog comment section) takes an email address per post, if the spammer provided more than one email, he provided more than one piece of spam as well (though, maybe the same spam twice).  A submission for each piece would be appropriate in this case, if any of the information is different.

Last edited by kpatz (2019-03-08 6:05 pm)

Spam happens when greed meets stupidity.

#6 2019-03-14 1:45 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

if the differing combinations of username/email/ip are valid then submit them all

Board footer