You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-17 4:19 pm

jack terry

Introduce yourself

===== edited by Papa Parrot ====
Originally this was titled "Myself", the OP posted:

jack terry 2018-11-17 11:19 am:
I am newbie here. i would like to say hello to all of you guys. Hope everyone here is doing well so far.

Thanks for your time!

It is a great example of How NOT to introduce your self, as you can see by the responses below.
In any event, anyone new to the forum, is welcome, and can post a brief introduction here, if they desire.
Please include a little more then just "hello I am newbie", maybe your reasons for joining this forum, etc.

#2 2018-11-17 7:03 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Re: Introduce yourself

Hello,
So why did you join this forum ?

#3 2018-11-20 3:15 am

Oblivian

Call me a pessimist.. but that seems far too familiar..
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q="I+am+newbie+here.+i+would+like+to+say+hello+to+all+of+you+guys."

Profiles starting with that, and subsequent posts loaded up with 'I was recommended < URLs > what do you think? smile

Looks like they just volunteered themselves to the dbase.

#4 2018-11-20 12:52 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Hi Oblivian, welcome to SFS.

If they had added any kind of link to their post, or someone else chipped in with spam, then they would have gone straight into the dB. However, no link, no spam.

Also, I prefer https://duckduckgo.com/?q=I+am+newbie+here.+i+would+like+to+say+hello+to+all+of+you+guys.

#5 2018-11-20 4:25 pm

squirt

in my experience, posts like this are later edited with spam

#6 2018-11-20 6:16 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

That might be the case, SOMETIMES, but until it actually happens, the OP is legit, made a legit post and has not done anything to warrant  being deleted or listed as a spammer.
   My experience is that people that wear sunglasses indoors or at night are usually gun packing drug dealers, should we condemn them, and arrest them before they actually do anything ?
==== edit ====

Oblivian>>Looks like they just volunteered themselves to the dbase.

And , I did think about just deleting the post, it seemed rather silly to me, but still after all said and done there is no rules against posting a introduction, and it  has no links,no signature, nothing  that could be called spam.

I sure hope someone is not submitting things like this to the data base.

#7 2018-11-21 2:31 am

Oblivian

I wasn't meaning I was adding them with my volunteering remark or should immediately be if that's how it reads that's for sure. Not without being able to see IPs, Email used and such for comparison. Just seemed to tick a redflag starting box when I thought it seemed odd and went to see how common it is. Figured I'd point it out incase it wasn't noticed and warranted more investigation.

Interaction/Time and revisit dates will tell. But sure got the eyebrows raised with no reply to a followup question in 2 days.

Couple of examples I checked for similarity appeared to be making the effort to do semi on-topics with links or app name/maker descriptions (reviews essentially) and their profile occupation listed as 'marketer'. Or accts made in 2017, 1 post and no follow ups despite multiple people interacting hmm

Sorry for appearing gun-ho brazen if I did guys. I'll put my head back under the covers again and whack websoikeo365 for the 4th time this week attempting to make a post on one I monitor.

#8 2018-11-21 2:52 am

Papa Parrot
Website

No big deal really,

But sure got the eyebrows raised with no reply to a followup question in 2 days.

Me too, my feelings are hurt, the OP never replied, .. I was going to just delete the topic if there was no reply after a week, but any way, ..

Figured I'd point it out incase it wasn't noticed and warranted more investigation.

Hmm, ok , well seems like the fact I replied, and asked the OP directly, Why they joined this forum,
it would be obvious someone had noticed it,  .... we actually did have one a few years ago start a "introduce myself " topic,... and when asked why they joined, the response was , "Looking for people to chit chat with",  or something to that extent, and they were serious,...we get all sorts here, but if they do not actually post real spam,...meaning posts with links, etc,...then they do not get submitted to the data base.
To prevent anyone coming back later and editing the post, I generally delete the "nonsense" topics, that some of these clowns start, after a week or so, when there are no responses.Who knows what they plan to do? if they are even capable of making a plan,  Some times we do ban them as well, for making silly posts, but it does not get added to the data base when it is not spam.

#9 2018-11-21 4:09 pm

squirt

I only meant that the post warrants watching. I don't ban for this either, I wait until they actually edit spam into it.
IMO your gun totin' drug dealer spiel was an unnecessary comment. I was only trying to help, I never suggested any kind of disciplinary action.
Should I just not try to contribute here?

#10 2018-11-21 4:58 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Cut us a bit of slack please, squirt. It is only within the last couple of weeks that this forum was locked down enough that we Mods were not faced with a dozen+ spammers each week. It is fixed now but we are still trying to recover our normal bonheur de vivre.
wikipedia Henri Matisse: bonheur de vivre

#11 2018-11-21 6:58 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

squirt>>Should I just not try to contribute here?

Everyone is welcome to share, or contribute, and comment  , but be prepared to also receive comments, and possibly some will seem unnecessary,

IMO your gun totin' drug dealer spiel was an unnecessary comment.

The point was, even if someone looks like they might be , IE; The OP sounds like a bot, and yes possibly they will come back and edit their post adding spam, but so far they have not done so.
Some one wearing sunglasses indoors or at night, looks suspicious, but the same, they have not really done anything wrong.
  Based on the warm welcome the OP got , I seriously doubt they will be back, members should keep in mind that just because some one makes a very common comment , in a introduction, or other post , that does not automatically make them a spam bot, or "bad guy",...
Now , speaking of criticism, My reply:

Hello,
So why did you join this forum ?

Probably I should have been more polite, and said something like  "Welcome to the forum, if there is anything we can help you with, let us know. (as long as it is related to forum spam ) ."
  Any way, I am glad to know no body else submits this kind of thing to the data base. 
We do have the "Report" button, and if and when any one feels a post needs watching, or is spam, should be removed, or any other problem with a post, please use the report button. This helps to avoid publicly  accusing some one of something they have not yet done, or possibly hurting a newcomers feelings, discouraging future posts or contributions from the newcomer.
Please, Don't worry, or get angry I am not angry, nor saying  anyone should not contribute, in reverse, every one is welcome, and no problem. 
Some food for thought though, and my apology if my comment about :

I sure hope someone is not submitting things like this to the data base.

, I apologize, if that offended anyone, I did NOT say or accuses anyone of doing that, but I will admit, the other comments did make me wonder,...
So think about, how do you think Jack Terry felt, or will feel , when they see:

Looks like they just volunteered themselves to the dbase.

and

in my experience, posts like this are later edited with spam

?

#12 2018-11-22 6:29 am

Oblivian

Duly noted.

In which case, feel free to remove/edit all subsequent posts after your attempted introduction. No doubt you can see the 'last visit' of users while standard users cannot, And by default it doesn't appear subscription notification/emails are posted out without manual intervention? (at least it hasn't to me yet) in which case the remainder wouldn't appear to exist if the last visited date is yet to increment.

#13 2018-11-22 6:37 am

Oblivian

Actually scratch that, Didn't consider a starter will be automatically.

As a side note, appears to tell you you can't edit until postcount reaches 10, but can delete. Am I blind for not being able to find said delete button.

#14 2018-11-22 1:59 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

We do have it set so that new members can not edit, until they get the post count . On the delete, if there have been replies, then no body can delete a post that has been replied to. So that is correct, you should not see a delete button.
This is for obvious reasons, but for those that don't see the obvious,  When there have been replies made, it could make the thread not make sense any more if previous posts were deleted.

The OP has not been back since they made the first post, so no real problem .  Also , I would like to say thank you to everyone, :

squirt>>I was only trying to help, I never suggested any kind of disciplinary action.

We do appreciate the interest, and everyone's contributions,  I am going to leave this topic open, in case any other new members decide they want to introduce their selves, or something,... tell us a little about their selves,etc.

#15 2018-11-22 3:59 pm

squirt

I love this place, it served me very well when I really needed it. Fortunately, my admin finally saw the light and spam isn't very much of an issue with the new format. I've gotten good advice here as well. I understood your parable, it just felt like you smacked me with it. Words are hard without body language, for us all.

#16 2018-11-22 6:01 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Oblivian wrote:

Am I blind for not being able to find said delete button.

I do not know the answer to your question, but recognise that it has to be an extra irritant for you when you possess such a username.

#17 2018-11-22 8:56 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

@Oblivian, I just now checked, logged in as a new member, and your right, there is no delete button, option , even on a recent post with no replies following it.
So maybe Pedigree will need to work on that.

#18 2018-11-24 1:20 am

sklerder
Website

Hi.

Yes, on FluxBB standard forums (and I feel there's no official mod to change this), there's no intermediate possibility to delete a post.
Depending on the configuration :
- Either the forum gives rights to group's members to delete their own posts, or not.
- Either moderators of the forum have rights (forum by forum, I prefer to say category by category) to delete posts, or not.
Admins have full rights, of course ...

#19 2019-01-17 1:00 pm

greenmoon

Community manager on another forum. We (together with the moderating team) use this site a lot to block spammers (thank you for existing) and would like to contribute when we see new ones showing up if that's possible again...? smile

#20 2019-01-17 1:19 pm

greenmoon

And a few minutes later with an API key in hand, I reported one first spammer. \o/

#21 2019-01-26 7:27 am

PaulBuonopane

Some (most?) Stop Forum Spam plugins/extensions/add-ons/whatever will automatically report spammers to Stop Forum Spam if you use your forum's built-in spam deletion feature, if it has one.  The quality varies, but most work well enough.

#22 2019-02-04 12:47 pm

LoopyChew

I just discovered this forum while searching for a domain that a community I moderate has been receiving a large number of signups/spam posts from, and figured I'd throw in my hat. Haven't checked the API yet but my curiosity got the better of me.

#23 2019-02-09 11:52 am

ChristianVirtual

Hi from Japan ...

found this forum indirect by detecting HTML error codes in a web site I technically take over. A script attempt to download a file from here; which let to a 404. Wanted to see what's around and seems useful for my new career as forum operator  (which I will not share to avoid being banned ;-)

I will carefully read and learn and in case of questions please bare with me. English is also not my first language but the German subform seems rather inactive.

#24 2019-02-09 4:57 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Welcome to the forum, and

(which I will not share to avoid being banned ;-)

Yes, it is a good thing you were not able to include a link to the site, you would have been banned and submitted as a spammer.
We deliberately do not permit new members to post links , because we were getting to much spam.
Also, just a note, even after you have enough posts to be able to post links, it is best to not post them unless specifically requested to, we take spam very seriously, and don't like it on this forum.

#25 2019-04-22 4:51 pm

NT2C

Greetings all, my friends call me Bernie and I hope I can count you all as friends here.  I'm a global moderator on the Zombie Squad International forum (which you can find easily enough without needing me to post a link).  I also founded and ran the SPWAW Depot forum and site for 13 years before passing it on to someone else when I couldn't devote the time to it that it needed. 

I got my start with computers back in high school in 1970 on an IBM 360 mainframe.  After a stint in the military, I went to college and got my bachelor's in computer and information sciences and an associates in electrical engineering technology.  From there I ran BBSes (I'm featured in the BBS documentary movie) and became an online host/personality for a computer magazine and for several of the early "major players" in online entertainment, most notably Quantum Link, PlayNet, and AOL.  All told, almost half a century of experience, most of it online.

I'm retired now, just doing a few things here and there and helping out on forums that I personally enjoy, such as ZS (I've been a member for 13 years).  My screen name (username, whatever you choose to call it) is my amateur radio callsign.

Board footer