You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-31 3:04 pm

jmwking

Reporting add'l IPs

I run a medium sized vB board (about 1,000 active members and a few new registrations a day), and have been checking email and IP addresses manually against SFS for years (thanks!). 

At this point, I have no real need to poke at my board with an API and I like to keep things simple.  Doing it manually works for us - we don't release an account until they pass a quick check, and they're not visible until they get released.

Not infrequently, though, I get a hit on an email address in SFS but the registering IP address hasn't been reported yet.  Is there a way I can report this additional IP address attached to the email even if there hasn't been any spam posted (because the account is still in limbo)?

regards,

-jk

#2 2018-10-31 4:08 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Re: Reporting add'l IPs

If no spam was posted, then there is no spammer to report. Also you do need a API key to make any submission

#3 2018-10-31 8:38 pm

jmwking

Thanks.  I was just trying to give back a little by expanding info on previously reported spammers.  I have pretty much nothing you'd consider spam that actually gets posted.

-jk

#4 2018-10-31 10:52 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Hi jmwking

We appreciate that folks believe that they are helping by doing what you proposed. However, if you spend a little time thinking it through, you will then realise that the only safe report is of a spammer that spammed *your* forum, with the details specific to that specific spammer. As soon as someone enters information that is not specific to them & their forum they pollute the database with dubious data, because you can guarantee the information gleaned from *your* forum. You cannot in all honesty guarantee any information gleaned from someone else's forum.

No spam, no report - it is easy to remember.

#5 2018-11-02 11:30 am

jmwking

Fair enough.

Thanks!

#6 2018-11-04 7:13 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

If they spam then feel free to submit, click back, change the IP and submit again

Board footer