You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-29 10:20 pm

Gizmo256

How to verify spammer information is being submitted from XenForo?

Greetings!

Our site is run off of XenForo 2. On the recommendation from a friend, I requested an API key to enter for spam management. I manually entered in some information of a few spammers we had at our site just to see what I would expect to see under "My Spammers" and "Submission Stats". Since the key has been installed yesterday, our admins have removed at least 22 posts that were deemed to be spam using the spam cleaner. I've not seen any evidence that information has been automatically reported back, as it says it's supposed to do.

Should I see them under "My Spammers" or in the "Submission Stats" section under my account? Is there a way to verify?

Thanks for the assist!

#2 2018-10-30 12:00 am

Papa Parrot
Website

Re: How to verify spammer information is being submitted from XenForo?

You should see them in the "MySpammers", assuming they were submitted. On the "Submission Stats", I think that might take a while before anything shows.

as it says it's supposed to do.

Not sure what "it" is, and no clue as to what it says,... If you are using some kind of extension, mod , or plugin for XenForo 2, then you would need to ask them, about that. If nothing is being submitted , it must not be working  as expected.

#3 2018-10-30 2:54 am

Alex Kemp
Website

There is an example of a manual submission here. If you do that from the command-line of your server, and check MySpammers afterwards (if successful, and obviously you need to be logged in to SFS), then you can prove to yourself if submission works, and possibly get an error message if it does not.

After that, everything is within your own hands according to results. Don't forget to remove the rubbish-entry afterwards (or add actually spammers if you have full info).

#4 2018-10-30 10:05 pm

Gizmo256

It seems XenForo 2 has the ability to automatically send information to Stopforumspam. I've added a snapshot to this post. I'd not used this before, which is why I'm asking if I should see results of it in my user panel.

I was hoping there may have been someone else who is using this feature that could give me guidance on proper setup if I'd not done something correctly. But based on it saying just post in your key here and it will be automatic, I didn't think I could screw that up.

Capture.png

#5 2018-10-30 11:10 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Hi Gizmo256.

Eventually someone may read this thread that also has XenForo 2 experience. There are a tremendous number of forum software, and an even larger number of additions/extensions/whatever to allow spam rejection/reporting. None of the staff here have any of the relevant experience to be able to help directly.

You have reported nothing from your logs, nor (it seems) tried a manual submission. Ah well.

#6 2018-10-30 11:27 pm

sklerder
Website

Hello !

Seeing your screen capture, I don't see any API key, but perhaps did you blanked it (which is a good idea, an API key shouldn't be posted publicly)?
If the API key is not set in your plugin configuration, that's a great reason you don't see any submit smile

You should have better support near the author of the plugin/mod (though we don't refuse to help, we don't know about every plugin/mod) ...

#7 2018-10-31 1:02 am

Gizmo256

Hi sklerder,

I did remove my API key before taking the capture. smile

It's not a plugin, it's inherent within XenForo 2 itself.

https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/spam/

#8 2018-10-31 1:08 am

Papa Parrot
Website

Ok, well thanks for the  screen shot, at least it does show what you are using.  If the API key is correctly entered in the field for it, where you have it checked, it should submit them, and yes,  your "my spammers" would show them , assuming everything else is working ok, ....
  I was looking at the XenForo 2 website/forum a little last night,  one thing I did notice , apparently there are permission settings involved as well,
that is to say, if the moderators, or persons doing the spam cleaning do not have the correct permissions, then it would not get submitted. I am not at all familiar with Xenforo 2, so can't really help on that. We do have a few members that use XenForo 2, but it is very rare they post anything, but maybe one will see this and have some additional info.

#9 2018-10-31 1:19 am

Gizmo256

Alex,

I did do some manual entries, as stated in my first post. I do see evidence of those which verifies that the key is valid and correct.

Just not sure where to go from here to verify it's working. I'm sure it's probably something simple that I've overlooked; I'm hoping someone that has experienced this sees it. I've also reached out to XenForo for some help with this as well.

Thanks!

#10 2018-10-31 1:27 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Gizmo256 wrote:

I did do some manual entries, as stated in my first post.

Yup, but no followup on whether that worked or not.

Gizmo256 wrote:

I do see evidence of those which verifies that the key is valid and correct.

OK; now we know that you have a working API key when spammers are entered via the SFS Add Spam Data web-link. We now need for you to try similar but from your server IP using the SFS API (manual submission via terminal), as per my first post in this thread. You can either use junk data as shown (but then remember to remove using My Spammers afterwards if successful), or use live information from one of the non-reported spammers. You will then know:–

• That the error is with XenForo 2
    (curl submission is successful, no errors); or…

• That the error is something else
    (an error gets reported from curl)

Report the error if you need further assistance.

#11 2018-11-04 7:44 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

failing all that, PM me with the server details/IP and anything that you might have attempted to submit and I can have a look.  I've turned the logging right down to almost nothing, but it should be enough to see an HTTP code

Board footer