You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-03 9:15 am

cwhart

I'm NOT a spammer, but I'm getting blocked again and again and again!

OK, I hate spam too, and I see the need for a way to block spam, but I seriously question whether this service is it. I am NOT a spammer, but on one site that I go to every day, I keep getting blocked again and again and again. I follow the procedure to get unblocked and eventually I am able to access the site again, but it's a huge pain in the ass and a real problem if I am chatting with someone and then suddenly disappear.

I have no idea why I keep being identified as spam. Does it have something to do with IP addresses? I'm an American, but I live overseas in a country where the internet is censored, so I have to use a VPN. Sometimes I change servers to try to get a better connection. Also I travel a lot to my home and other places and log in to the internet in all those places. So the result is multiple IP addresses. I'm just guessing that's the problem. May that has nothing to do with it.

Can anyone tell me how to get this screwed up service to stop blocking me?

#2 2018-08-03 10:05 am

Maikuolan
Website

Re: I'm NOT a spammer, but I'm getting blocked again and again and again!

Firstly, Stop Forum Spam does not block anyone. It provides a database of data points reported as being used by spammers (usernames, email addresses, IP addresses), and an API, which allows website owners to leverage the database here, to make decisions themselves, about what to block at their own websites. How the data is used, and in particular, whether it is used correctly, is up to them. It is also difficult to know whether the database here has anything to do with it, unless some data is provided, to demonstrate which data points are actually causing you to be (as you've described) (mis-)identified as a spammer.

You can request that data be removed from Stop Forum Spam by using the removal form, or by contacting pedigree (the owner of Stop Forum Spam) directly, or via private messaging. However, note that nothing can be removed, unless it is already known by you, what data needs to be removed. If you don't have this data, then at the very least, you'll need to contact the owner or operator of the website in question, where you're being blocked, to firstly confirm whether you're being blocked because of data points in the Stop Forum Spam database, and to secondly obtain that data, in order to be able to make a removal request here.

Last edited by Maikuolan (2018-08-03 10:06 am)

#3 2018-08-03 11:34 am

zero-tolerance

The best bet would probably be to find a VPN (or equivalent) service that's not also being used by spammers.
Going paid/private would probably do the trick.

You're probably not going to get either SFS or the site that's blocking you to whitelist any continual source of spam.

#4 2018-08-03 1:51 pm

cwhart

What Maikuolan describes, to the extent that I even understand it, seems absurdly complicated (though I thank him/her for the answer). I have contacted this website several times before because of this issue and others, and never received an answer. Something is clearly wrong somewhere when I have to become a cyber-detective simply to use a particular website. And who or what is "perdigree"? Can you provide a link?

And zero-tolerance, can you please explain what you mean by "going paid/private"? I have no idea.

#5 2018-08-03 3:26 pm

zero-tolerance

If you're using a free VPN service it's undoubtedly being used by spammers to hide their identity, which is why it keeps getting relisted here.
If you sign up with a web service that does VPN (web IP address proxying) for a price, it will be one the spammers won't use - because they likely won't pay for such a service.
If the spammers are not using the same VPN IP addresses that you use, you won't get blocked.

I've never used such a paid service so I don't know what to recommend specifically, but I believe there are web services that offer private/safe browsing for a fee. There may be other ways to redirect your web access through an IP address that's not also being used by spammers.

#6 2018-08-03 3:58 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

As all ready mentioned, we do not do the blocking, key words here : "I have to become a cyber-detective simply to use a particular website. "a particular website
Who ever that administers that particular  website is the only one that can help you.  They did the configurations, and are blocking you. They might be using or misusing the data we offer, but we have no control over how they use/misuse it.  Many website admins do block any vpn , so yes that is most likely the problem. VPN' are very popular with spammers, so  some web admins find it easiest to simply block them all.

I'm an American, but I live overseas in a country where the internet is censored, so I have to use a VPN

We have no control over other countries, nor your travelling, etc. If the internet is censored in that country, maybe you should think about living some where else. Also, keep in mind, "the law of the land", if that country has censored internet, then you technically are breaking the law , in trying to hack your way into it. I agree it is not a good law, but we have no control over that. You do, you do not have to live there.

And who or what is "perdigree"? Can you provide a link?

Are you deliberately mispelling the name, ? Look again at what Maikuolan said:

Maikuolan>>You can request that data be removed from Stop Forum Spam by using the removal form, or by contacting pedigree (the owner of Stop Forum Spam) directly, or via private messaging.

His name is on several topics and threads, simply click the name, and select send PM

pedigree
Just click the name (above)

A link to the removal form was also included, but here it is again:
REMOVAL
Same , just click the word "Removal" above.

I think you need to try to relax a little, and calm down, ranting and claiming it is our fault some other wed site has banned / blocked you, is only going to end up with you getting banned and blocked here as well.

cwhart>> Can anyone tell me how to get this screwed up service to stop blocking me?

WE have not blocked or banned you from anywhere, insulting us, and saying the service we
provide (for free) is screwed up, is NOT a good way to start out, ....

Obviously , what ever method, IP or vpn you are using now is not in our data base, otherwise you would not have been able to register.
To sum it up, you need to discuss this with the administrator of the particular website that has banned and blocked you, maybe they will "white list" you, but we have no control over that, it is their decision, and they have every right to ban /block anyone or any country, IP block, etc that they choose to.
===== edited ====
Note, if you do contact pedigree, or use the removal form,  you need to start being polite and civil,
Pedigree puts a lot of work into maintaining SFS, calling it a "screwed up service" is rude, and a insult,  take a look at these: Threats
==================Just click the highlighted word "threats" above ^

Important , > Read this: Proper Use of the SFS Removal System
===============    click ^ highlighted text ^
This is just part :

Before submitting your removal request, please search the database for your details. If neither your email address nor your IP number are listed, you are advised to forgo our removal system in favor of contacting the administrator of the forum where you were denied, as this would indicate you are being rejected via chosen user-name alone.

That is just part, you should relax a little, and take the time to read some of the information about what "StopForumSpam" is, and how we work, before throwing around any more insults.

cwhart>>Something is clearly wrong somewhere when I have to become a cyber-detective simply to use a particular website.

1. Throwing around uncalled for insults, is something wrong, and a good way to get banned/blocked by any web site.
2. Yes, something is wrong, with the particular website , and they have you blocked and banned. But
it is even more wrong, to expect other to become  cyber-detectives, and solve YOUR problem with some particular web site. No detective work needed, simply contact the admins of that site, be polite, and see if they will white list you.

#7 2018-08-06 1:20 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

If you use a proxy that is abused by spammers and criminals, and they get listed, then you will get caught up in that.  We have no way to know if an IP address is a proxy, not that we would whitelist (this is no whitelisting for this very reason).  if we removed the listing then it would be back in minutes, defeating the entire purpose of removing it.

Board footer