You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-04 7:14 pm

ronaldvanbelzen

How to test the uploads of your own application?

I was wondering whether there is a special type of request that can be used for testing your own software using the API. Or is there a SFS test server?

Ronald.

#2 2018-05-04 7:51 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Re: How to test the uploads of your own application?

As far as I know , no there is no  SFS test server.
It is not clear to me on the "special type of request", this would vary depending exactly what it is you want to test.
There might be something of use to you here , (if you have not all ready looked) :
API usage
What I do , for one example:
I use my API key, but I label the post, or action "test",...Then after I check "myspammers"  
If the post, and data was submitted (uploaded)correctly it will be there, and then I remove/delete it,..
If your software is going to be making automatic submissions, you should also discuss it with Pedigree and make sure it meets his requirements, like wise if it is a "honey pot" type of software, you will want to get his approval.

#3 2018-05-04 8:22 pm

ronaldvanbelzen

Well, I was worried about uploading rubbish to the database, even when I can remove it later.
But your tip about using an actual spammer is an idea.

And no, I am not going to build software for automatic submissions, but rather software that offers the admin a button in the view of a comment to initiate a report before he deletes the spam from the site.

Thanks.

P.S. I read Pedigree's post about the requirements and changed the software accordingly.

Last edited by ronaldvanbelzen (2018-05-04 8:27 pm)

#4 2018-05-04 11:45 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Some thing like what your saying, my approach would be to make a user on your forum IE: "spammerjoe", log in to your forum as "spammerjoe", the post, or start a newtopic, (as needed) and logout. Titled: test, content: From spammerjoe test. (or something similar,simple)
Log in again as admin or moderator,  use your button that you want to test, submit it , but "later", is kind of a broad term, could be days later,  I guess I should have said immediately. When I do that, I have both SFS open in one browser window, and the forum I am running tests on in another. The submission should show immediately,but do keep in mind, you will probably refresh/reload the SFS browser window,  if everything is working correctly, the submission would be at the top of your "my spammers" list, the most recent one, I delete it immediately, for me this is especially important, since when I logged in a "joespammer", it is my IP that is included in the data,...   Another thing to keep in mind, if you have some kind of "autoban" and the IP get's banned, you could ban your own IP, and find your self unable to log in. ...that happened to me once, but no big deal, I just had to connect using ssh, and go in and remove the block.
Of course, just waiting until a real spammer posts would be the best "final" test,..
What kind of forum software is your "software" intended for ?
  We have a board on this forum The Tech Shop
It is not viewable by guests, you must be registered and logged in to view it, if you give more details on the software, some other members, including me might be willing to give it a test.

#5 2018-05-05 7:04 am

ronaldvanbelzen

"What kind of forum software is your "software" intended for ?"

I am writing my own module for Drupal 8 that will enhance the functionality of the Drupal SpamBot module.
The SpamBot module has been ported from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8, but the part for reporting spam was not included in that port and I want some extra functionality not included in the original and current SpamBot module.

When that works on my own site, I will probably make a contribution to the SpamBot module to get that functionality included.

The good news is that the current SpamBot module is working rather good, in combination with the Honeypot and Captha modules. Hardly anything gets through, while the Honeypot module weeds away more than 90% of the spammers before a request to SFS needs to be made. And SFS helps to block the rest. But some day, no doubt, I will be able to test reporting a spammer that gets through in production.

I am very happy with SFS and thankful for its existence.

Last edited by ronaldvanbelzen (2018-05-05 8:36 am)

#6 2018-05-05 4:29 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Ok, thanks, for sharing this.
You are right, the spam control methods used on Drupal block pretty much everything, I had drupal on 1 server and never did get any spam posted, I think if you want to test your software, you should disable the other blocking methods, so that some spammer can access and post,  other wise it might be a long time waiting.
Once you get 1 or 2 real spam posts and test the program, enable the other spam control methods again as well.

Board footer