You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-28 10:07 pm

brynn

need advice - are these all spammers?

Hi Friends,
I've recently had a bunch of spam from a few different members, all using yopmail.com for the email address domain, and IP addresses starting either 39.46. or 39.55.

Now looking through my member list, I see many members who fall into those same categories (they all use yopmail.com and either one IP segment or the other).  (and by the way, they all use what I call 'alphabet names' which are usernames made of just random characters)  I certainly don't want to report them all, until I'm sure.  I'm just wondering if there's any way to be sure, when they haven't posted any messages.

Is there any way to look up IP addresses, with just the first, or first 2 sections of the address?  And even if it's possible, could that really give any helpful info?

I mean, I guess what I'm getting at, is that I've heard that spammers (as a whole) own and use whole blocks of IP addresses, and that's how they can keep getting new email addresses.  Are those known by anyone, so that we could dump any members using them?

I did look up yopmail.com, which is registered in France.  But it doesn't tell me anything helpful.

Or, do I have to wait, and only report all these members after they post spam?

Can those which have actually posted spam be reported to the domain owner?

Thanks for your guidance :-)

#2 2018-01-28 10:23 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Re: need advice - are these all spammers?

You need to slow down a little, and try reading some of the existing topics and threads, some of the many questions may all ready have been discussed,..
NEXT and MOST important:

brynn>> Or, do I have to wait, and only report all these members after they post spam?

You should NEVER submit or report any thing other the when actual spam has been posted.   No spam posted = nothing to submit.

Can those which have actually posted spam be reported to the domain owner?

Many Domains do have a "abuse" contact e-mail listed, if you have something to complain or report to a domain owner, it is between you and them,... we are not involved in that.

It is possible to block entire IP blocks, but we do not recommend that, read the FAQ:
https://www.stopforumspam.com/faq

#3 2018-01-28 11:08 pm

brynn

Sorry for the barrage of questions.  I have read the faq, including the one you linked about blocking IPs.  But I didn't mean blocking a whole....I don't know what the sections are called.  I don't mean to block, for example, everything under the first section, like 39.00.00.00.  I was wondering if it would work to block everything after the 2nd or 3rd section of the IP address -- IF they are known to be owned by spammers.

And when I say "block everything...." I don't mean report them to the database and I don't mean block them from registering.  I mean, if these spammer-owned IP addresses are known, we can delete members using them from our forum.

It just bugs me to have potentially known spammers registered in the forum, even though they have never posted a message.  It just bugs me.

Anyway, I'll try and find answers to all my other questions.

Thanks  :-)

#4 2018-01-29 2:00 am

Papa Parrot
Website

Ok, well no problem, I can see you have a lot of questions, and especially if you can not find anything that helps , feel free to ask,..
There is the https://www.stopforumspam.com/downloads as well, it has several lists  that you maybe able to use to help
weed out all the registered, but known to be spambots or spammers, ...
Ahh, ok I just now realized,  A IP block, can have a double meaning,... Blocking a IP, is what it says, you block the IP , some one using
that IP can not register,  A IP block, .. is like a section, and you can block entire sections (we call them blocks), but it still is not really
recommended, as mentioned in th FAQ, also I do realize the FAQ is very limited, in fact it really is lacking,...

Maybe someone else here can help explain this better, but yes you can do this:

I was wondering if it would work to block everything after the 2nd or 3rd section of the IP address -- IF they are known to be owned by spammers.

I am just not sure how to explain how, ....

#5 2018-02-01 8:23 pm

brynn

Thanks, I'll check out the lists you mentioned :-)

Board footer