You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-23 12:34 pm

wserra

PayPal Suspends SFS

Why?  Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I didn't see a previous thread in a search.

I only found out yesterday, when Russ Jackson refunded a donation I made months ago.  It seems nuts.  I wrote the business dept of PP the following email, which anyone else should feel free to use as a template:

I just found out PP suspended the account of Stop Forum Spam.  Why?

I am admin of a moderate-sized forum devoted to exposing financial frauds.  We get a lot of spam.  About year ago, I discovered a tool that helps a lot in ridding a forum of the stuff - a site called Stop Forum Spam.  It indexes reported spammers by email, IP and (less useful) login.  I found myself using it almost every day, and reporting my own coterie of spammers to it.  I used it sufficiently that I felt duty-bound to contribute, and I did, through PayPal.

Today I found that the owner of the site had refunded my contribution, made months ago, because PayPal had suspended its account.  The fact that he made the refund shows his honesty.  But why did PayPal do this?  Yes, I know, spammers hate the site quite vocally, which itself indicates that SFS is doing something right.  But honest people - especially we forum admins - think it's great.  Why is PayPal siding with the spammers?

I'd be glad to write a specific person at PP, if someone can point me in the right direction.  If anyone knows why PP did this, I'd be interested in that as well.

#2 2017-12-23 1:42 pm

Maikuolan
Website

Re: PayPal Suspends SFS

Personally, I wasn't aware that SFS's PayPal account had been suspended. If this is the case that it has happened, I suspect that pedigree is the only person here that might have a chance of knowing the reasons why, due to that he runs he site here, and I assume, also the PayPal account. He tends to be quite busy with work and family, and so, doesn't respond here every day, but he'll usually get around to seeing things here and replying at some point. If we give it a day or so, hopefully he'll see this and share his input about it. :-)

#3 2017-12-23 4:23 pm

wserra

GarryRicketson wrote:

Months ago, why so long, ?

Probably because PayPal just suspended the account.

if they were so "honest" . . . I don't think Pay Pal is as honest as they mislead people into thinking

I didn't say that I thought PayPal was honest, I said the owner of this site - the one who refunded my PP donation - was honest.

maybe you can make other arrangements

I'd be glad to do that, but the only other option on the site is Bitcoin.  I dislike money laundering.

#4 2017-12-23 4:34 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Oops, I just deleted my post, but see it was to late,...

I didn't say that I thought PayPal was honest, I said the owner of this site - the one who refunded my PP donation - was honest.

That was why I deleted my post,... and I agree there, apology,... This really is something that should be discussed by PM, with Pedigree, and not here.

I also have my concerns about "bit coin", and have never tried it myself,........ if you send a PM to Pedigree,  he should be able
to answer any questions on this you may have.
Thank you

--------- edited ---------------

I only found out yesterday, when Russ Jackson refunded a donation I made months ago.

To be honest, here, I am not sure who Russ Jackson is, but yes it does show he is honest, and I can see how it
might take a few months to notice, but apparently when he saw the donation was intended for Stop Forum Spam,
then he took the time and effort to refund the money to you,... that is good.
"Pedigree" is the site admin , and the only one I communicate with,
if there are other admins/owners involved I am not aware of that.

#5 2017-12-23 4:37 pm

wserra

Cool.  Thanks.

#6 2017-12-27 11:37 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

The story here.   It appears that the UK regulator has demanded a serious amount of personal information from Paypal.  I am no longer in the UK so I cannot confirm my details there, and Paypal have closed ranks, won't answer requests for information, so I just have to leave it there for the moment.  I'll have to create a new account in New Zealand (as changing countries appears to actually be impossible there) and get around their suspension that way.

Sigh....

The good news, SFS is not going away smile

#7 2017-12-28 2:39 am

NeoFox
Website

If it's possible to create "joint" accounts with Paypal I could house a paypal account for a day and transfer it over completely to you...if such an option exists?

#8 2017-12-28 5:39 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

I've refunded all outstanding donations as its better that people get their money back, compared to Paypal just keeping it indefinitely.  Once Paypal have "OKed" all my NZ paperwork then I can get it reopened

#9 2017-12-28 5:42 pm

NeoFox
Website

Another case where I hate paypal. I use it sparingly and often look for other service providers instead.

#10 2018-01-06 1:19 pm

jost

Get a stripe account for donations. Super easy to setup.  I dumped paypal for online payments a long time ago. The worst.

#11 2018-01-06 2:36 pm

kpatz

Maikuolan is an admin there but he only has access to the forum admin side of things, not backend like ZB Block.  Someone there may need to contact Zap by phone to get the ban removed.  I also suggested that a cron job be set up to remove IP bans after 24-48 hours or so.

Since you're on Comcast it's hard to get a new IP... their IPs tend to stick around even through release/renew and power cycling modems and routers.  Changing your router's MAC would do it though.

Spam happens when greed meets stupidity.

#12 2018-01-06 2:57 pm

Maikuolan
Website

(Re: Above reply by kpatz): Wrong thread. tongue

Intended for #8271, I assume.

Board footer