You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-14 9:45 pm

The Switch Club

What to put in evidence field?

Hey, I'm new here and would like to report any spam incidents I come across on my MyBB forums and maybe my WordPress website too.

However, I'm a little stumped on what to enter into the "evidence" field when filing a report. I cannot simply link to their profile as I remove spam profiles as quickly as possible to avoid harming my reputation. What evidence will be sufficient?

Last edited by The Switch Club (2016-12-14 9:50 pm)

#2 2016-12-14 9:49 pm

The Switch Club

Re: What to put in evidence field?

I misread the big blue box!! So, it's not required and the "PLEASE READ FIRST" thread says a copy of any posts is acceptable evidence.

Sorry about this! Feel free to lock, delete or just ignore this thread.

#3 2016-12-14 11:59 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Hi The Switch Club

Welcome to SFS.

You are strongly advised to include evidence. If a spammer asks to have their SFS DB-entry removed & there is zero evidence, then the entry *will* be removed.

My personal format for 'Evidence' is a simple:

1) "Title=<Title of post><newline>"
2) "Text=<Source-Text of Post>"

#4 2016-12-15 10:02 pm

The Switch Club

Alex Kemp wrote:

(full-post quote removed)
(please do not repeat)
(edit any quotes to the essential matter)

My spammers don't make posts but simply create accounts to link to their website on their profile page. I'm sure it's done by hand and they hope to be noticed by Google but not myself.

#5 2016-12-15 10:36 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

If it is signature and profile spam, you can
include that as evidence as well, all though not required
it is a good thing to do, as mentioned, if there is no evidence
they stand a pretty good chance of getting it removed.
here is a example:
http://www.stopforumspam.com/evidence/137935614
Oops, actually that one had a post as well,
this (below) is one with just the signature:
http://www.stopforumspam.com/evidence/135359175

#6 2016-12-16 1:57 am

kpatz

I include any/all of the following if they exist: spam post, signature w/spam link, links in profile.

Spam happens when greed meets stupidity.

#7 2016-12-17 7:23 pm

The Switch Club

GarryRicketson wrote:

this (below) is one with just the signature:

Thanks for that second example!

#8 2016-12-20 3:45 pm

Piperdane
Website

The Switch Club wrote:

My spammers don't make posts but simply create accounts to link to their website on their profile page. I'm sure it's done by hand and they hope to be noticed by Google but not myself.

In our forum we have it set up so that new accounts do not have access to their profiles until they have submitted a minimum of 10 postings in certain areas of the site. 

Spammers will not not be able to post 10, let alone even once, without being discovered, banned, and reported to SFS.

Last edited by Piperdane (2016-12-20 3:49 pm)

#9 2017-03-04 1:45 am

Victor M

Hi,

If I receive messages saying:

WordPress <wordpress@********>
To    ******** Mar 2 at 9:05 PM
Subject: Failed Login

Login Info:
Time: Март 3, 2017 5:05 дп

Website Info:
Site: *********
IP Address: 176.31.245.7

Notification:
User authentication failed: ******

Explanation: Someone failed to login to your site. If you are getting too many of these messages, it is likely your site is under a password guessing brute-force attack [1]. You can disable the failed login alerts from here [2]. Alternatively, you can consider to install a firewall between your website and your visitors to filter out these and other attacks...

is it evidence?

#10 2017-03-04 2:39 am

Papa Parrot
Website

I think some more details are needed to be able to answer this.

is it evidence?

Evidence of what ?, to me all it indicates is that someone tried to login to your site
and couldn't. 
The StopForumSpam data base is for when spam has actually been posted on a forum,..
When I look at my server logs, there are 100's of attempted logins, daily,they fail , because they
are not authorized, do not have the password.
  And the logs include the IPs, and in some cases the name server or website url,...but none of that
is evidence or proof of some one/something posting spam on the forums that are on the server.

Honey pots are a exception, but they are set up in a way that only spam bots even see the login and registration buttons, or they have a very clear warning , that humans can read and see , notifying them that it is a honey pot, and any data submitted in the registration form might be used as evidence and submitted to the database, ..
Since spam bots are automatic, they do not read the warning and fill out the form anyway, submit the registration, then login and dump their spam.

Also, the e-mail address used and user name is required,   these 3 items:
IP address (of the spammer)
E-mail address  "
User name
Are required to submit a spammer, evidence of the post, or if it is a profile or signature, is appreciated and recommended, but after all said and done, the evidence field is not a required
part of submitting a spammer. 
The only e-mail address, is your own "wordpress" , sending you the warnings,...there is nothing in what you show, that includes e-mail of the person/or bot that tried  tried to login.

I guess any way, that is what is not clear, How do you receive these messages, ?
Where do they come from. ?

Is your site a "wordpress" site ? or is some one from wordpress sending you e-mails....?
It really is not very clear  ,... but the previous posts in this thread are pretty clear on what is
acceptable evidence,..Did you read the other posts in this thread ?

#11 2017-03-04 2:53 am

Alex Kemp
Website

Victor M wrote:

If I receive messages saying:

That is either a malicious email, or an email informing you of malicious activity on your server. You cannot report email spam to this site, let alone malicious emails, nor non-spam malicious activity on any channel. The clue is in the name:-

• StopForumSpam

Board footer