You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-20 3:50 pm

Russ

HOW TO: Get Listed on the Contributors Page

If you've signed up for an API key and have contributed more than ten one-hundred spammers, you are eligible to be listed/linked from the contributors page.

This is totally optional and everyone is not listed by default. First, you need a forum account so register for one if you haven't already. Be sure and use the same email address you used to sign up for your API key.

Once you're registered, go ahead and log in. Then at the forum header at the top, click on API keys. You'll see a table listing each API key and site, along with how many entries have been submitted. There's a check box next to each one labeled "Public?", click that and press the "Update" button at the bottom and your site will be listed on the contributors page.

If you need a key once registered, you need to go to the signup page

--
(Some older posts including two-year old banter have been removed from this thread for clarity until we remove this thread entirely in favor of an updated FAQ linking to a new thread. -- OTP)

Last edited by OnThePike (2012-04-04 11:24 am)

#2 2010-08-31 2:38 pm

squirrel
Website

Re: HOW TO: Get Listed on the Contributors Page

When does a page shows up on the contributors page? Are there some rules, for example a minimum amount of posted spam data?

#3 2010-08-31 2:47 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

100 submissions and after that, youll appear on the page.

#4 2011-09-21 8:02 am

Silverhill

I have acquired a new API key. I thought that the one I had already, that I've been using for spammer reporting, would be the one to use.  I suppose that there is a need to keep them separate, though--true?

Tack, Arnel!
--Silverhill

#5 2011-09-21 1:06 pm

Cyberfreak
Spam Buster

You can use 1 API key for multiple sites or one for each .  It is whatever is best for you/more convenient for you really.

#6 2011-09-21 1:32 pm

Wizzle
Website

Spammers (some) use the Contributors page as a don't spam blacklist. So what some of us do is get a key for our "main" site and use that key in our honeypots.
Because once your site has effective anti-spam and blocking protection, it would take a looong time to get to 100 reports and be listed on the contributors page.

#7 2011-09-22 8:16 am

Silverhill

There's something I'm still missing, somehow.  I put in the new key, but I wanted to use the old key: instead of, or at least in addition to, the new key.  The "Add another key" function isn't set up for that, though; it just wants to generate yet another new key (that I would not need).

Last edited by Silverhill (2011-09-22 8:16 am)

#8 2011-09-23 3:20 am

Wizzle
Website

Just a little backwards there.
If you want one of the domains associated with a api key to be listed "Publicly" (added to the Contributors page) go to...
User Panel >> API Keys  and under the "Public?" check the appropriate box and then click "Update".

Once you have submitted 100 reports with that key, the associated domain will show up on the Contributors page. smile

#9 2011-09-23 7:43 am

Silverhill

Wizzle wrote:

go to... User Panel >> API Keys  and under the "Public?" check the appropriate box and then click "Update".

OK.  When I registered for the first key, I did not associate it (explicitly) with any domain name. Now, with the new key, the submission page remembers it as "[API key] - domain.name".  That will suffice.

Thanks, folks!

Last edited by Silverhill (2011-09-23 7:44 am)

#10 2012-04-03 7:30 pm

indianlair
Website

This thread had me confused.

I guess the policy changed after the thread was started so the OP still says that I need to enter 10 spammers to get to that page. I guess that post needs to be edited smile

#11 2012-04-03 7:37 pm

OnThePike

You're right, and it's been mentioned before. I've corrected the original post for clarity. And welcome aboard.

#12 2012-04-03 7:52 pm

indianlair
Website

Thanks ... nice to be here ... I have been going through this site off and on for w while now but never posted because I only wanna post something that adds true value to this site and I don't have a lot to share in that regard.

A related reason for not posting is that I know I get a dofollow link with each of my posts (thanks) and I don't want to look spammy with my posts if they don't add much value.

That said, it's nice to finally make some contribution to this wonderful site that has saved me hours of effort already !!

#13 2012-12-19 8:47 pm

Ag2000CO

This is way down in the noise, but I see a small issue.

In the "User Panel" > "API Keys" explanation of the 2 check boxes I am conflicted.

1) It seems that to be most effective, one would check the "Reportable" box so that the IP could be given to a spammer's ISP so the spammer could be tracked down. (Although, not sure how important that is with Russian ISPs - but I trust your judgment).

This of course means that the API Key must be associated with a single domain/forum.  I read in other threads that it is OK to report several forums using a single key, which would preclude you from providing a valid/useful IP to an ISP.

2)  If to be most effective a contributor should use more that one API key for several forums, the distributed reporting effort may prevent (slow down) the "reward" of being listed as a contributor although their aggregate reporting effort meets the threshold.

3)  For any of several reasons (a honey pot, client forum) a contributor may not want a domain listed publicly.  The most altruistic contributor still likes a pat on the back by others of a like mind.

I may have missed something along the line while getting up to speed, and fighting back apparently having gotten onto several new comment spammer's list (ZERO spam for 2 years. then 100+ new spammy accounts with 400 blocks/day, now down to  15-20 spam comments, 30 new Russian/Chinese accounts and 100+ blocks/day).

Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.

#14 2012-12-19 9:27 pm

pedigree

Well, this is true and to date, I've only provided one ISP with a single domain name that was spammed. 

I can only give them what you give me smile

I will usually check to see if the submitting IP is that of a forum and "guess" at it

#15 2012-12-20 12:14 am

Ag2000CO

pedigree wrote:

Well, this is true and to date, I've only provided one ISP with a single domain name that was spammed.

That is kind of what I expected.  Except for a few anecdotes I've heard over the last 10-15 years, black/block list seem to be the useful result of these efforts vs any ISP real actions.

pedigree wrote:

I can only give them what you give me smile

Which is why I ask.

pedigree wrote:

I will usually check to see if the submitting IP is that of a forum and "guess" at it

Hmmm. In my case the host of my domains/forums is not my ISP so the submitting IP is unrelated to the IP of the forum.  I assumed that is what the website associated with the API Key was for; an DNS lookup.  ~~ I see you mean "submitting IP" as in the website associated with the API Key.

Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.

#16 2012-12-20 4:59 am

lisati

That sounds about right. With an informal check for a couple of sites I host, I've noticed that depending on what you look up and where, you'll get either my contact details or my ISP's contact details.

#17 2013-06-29 11:45 am

Backyarder

Hi,

I'm not listed in the contributors page although now have over 100 spammers listed.  I've gone to the API Keys page, checked public and clicked update.  How long should it be before I'm listed there?

#18 2013-06-29 12:06 pm

pedigree

Its generated once per day, at midnight UTC

#19 2013-06-29 12:42 pm

Backyarder

OK.  Thanks for the info.

#20 2013-07-28 12:20 am

wacki1956

I lost my old Forum which had over 1000 reported SPAMMERS. The site's name was KancerKidz. I now have replaced the site (same name) with a new one. Dose my SPAMMER list have to start all over, or can you verify my old count.

Thanks,
Bill

#21 2013-07-28 8:03 am

pedigree

If you PM me the new and old apikeys, then I can move the old to the new.

#22 2013-11-05 9:57 am

press

hello

i activated the checkboxes for my api key: puplic and reportable at http://www.stopforumspam.com/keys

i have the spambot drupal 6.x module installed and see in my drupal reports that minimum 20 registrations blocking per day from the module.

at http://www.stopforumspam.com/userstats i cant see one submitted spammer.

what i have to do, to see my blocked registrations at http://www.stopforumspam.com/userstats?

thanks for the help

#23 2013-11-05 1:32 pm

pedigree

userstats only reports on your submissions.  It does not report on what you block as that is on your server and is not reported to us.

#24 2013-11-06 12:28 am

Papa Parrot
Website

i cant see one submitted spammer

If you have submitted some spammers they should show here: http://www.stopforumspam.com/myspammers
On the contributars list, they won't show until you have over 100 ( I think) submissions.

#25 2013-11-06 9:53 pm

press

Thanks for the infos

Board footer