You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-13 10:37 am

Dave1253

Proboards Forum

It may be here and I just have not found it yet but is there any plug in or any plans any where for a plug in for a Proboards v5 forum.
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by Dave1253 (2012-11-13 1:16 pm)

#2 2012-11-13 1:40 pm

Maikuolan
Website

Re: Proboards Forum

Not possible. ProBoards provides a forum hosting service, but does not provide the ability to its clients to access or modify their operating software - This means that the only way your ProBoards forum could integrate with StopForumSpam would be if the owner of the ProBoards service did it himself.

Honestly, though? If I were you, and if it's remotely possible, I'd suggest getting away from their service as quickly as humanly possible - If you truly want full control over your forum and your community, best to just do it yourself, and though I don't have any current interest in following changes to their service (nor have I for a very long time), I recently found a thread on their support forum that suggests possible changes that'd remove access to the sort of information you'd need to manually check registrants against the SFS database anyhow.

#3 2012-11-17 8:37 pm

angie
Website

Yeah I didn't know that but according to this particular post they do the spammer IP checking for you through Stop Forum Spam:

We are already integrated with StopForumSpam.  We query their databases constantly to block known spammers.

http://support.proboards.com/index.cgi? … st=4988056

Also I guess the login system will be different with v5 as well:

When V5 launches, you won't be able to login to a forum without a global account.

Have faith in the admins, once all boards are V5, take a look at your options when you get any spammers, then decide if the new method works wink

More on that here in a video: http://support.proboards.com/index.cgi? … ead=430242

Patrick Clinger, the admin over at Proboards, attended a panel at the Web 2.0 Expo in New York that had to do specifically with online privacy.

A couple of the important things to expect with future privacy laws include:

-Stricter non-disclosure of your personal information
-Ability to export your data from any website

Last edited by angie (2012-11-17 8:51 pm)

Spammers are attracted to my medical site so I came here.

"ZB Block is Raid for spammers" - Snowhog
I always submit "Evidence" as spammers can always say they didn't spam without that proof.

#4 2012-11-18 9:38 am

zaphod
Jägermonster
Website

A couple of the important things to expect with future privacy laws include:

-Stricter non-disclosure of your personal information
-Ability to export your data from any website

Wow, on point number one, I don't see how they can nullify an AUP that they must OK to join.

And on the second one, there is no way to export a users data from phpBB. So when they make a stink, I'll just report them here (their posts just became spam in an attempt to extort me), and then delete their data from existence. They won't have a legal leg to stand on.

Or... I will just take a vacation to Galt's Gulch, and let the spammers and hackers win for a time.

Zap smile

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - John Galt

Get Protected, Stay Protected...
With ZB Block, GNU/GPL Freeware Anti-Spam/Anti-Hack protection for your php based website.

Little boxes in the server farm, little boxes running php...

#5 2012-12-26 5:53 pm

angie
Website

Their intention seems to be to have everything easy for the "noob user" who registers and uses Proboards. They try to make it so they user doesn't have to worry about figuring out who are spammers or not as well as make it easier to switch from other forum platforms to Proboards (people used to have to copy paste all posts from old forums to proboards or from proboards to other forums).

Spammers are attracted to my medical site so I came here.

"ZB Block is Raid for spammers" - Snowhog
I always submit "Evidence" as spammers can always say they didn't spam without that proof.

#6 2017-09-24 5:27 pm

MartinT

It may be of interest to know that a plug-in to check IP address and StopForumSpam status of any member is now available for ProBoards forums.  I've added it to ours.

The plug-in is called IP Lookup.

Board footer