You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-27 2:26 pm

gwpriester

Ukraine IP 176.100.190.61

I moderate at  [domain name removed by mod]

We have filters to filter out reported IP addresses but this one seems to fly in under the radar.

I am not sure because it has been some time but on one occasion a spambot from I believe the same operation successfully posted the same nonsense spam message in all our forums.

I am sure I am not the first to report this.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

#2 2019-09-27 8:29 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Re: Ukraine IP 176.100.190.61

I remove the domain name of the forum, we are not here for promotions, Next time it will be considered spam, so please do not do that again: https://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/mis … tion=rules
I did not look at the website /domain, or forum , have no interest, generally ".com", is used on commercial sites.If you want suggestions, we do need to know what software is used to power the forum, we DO NOT need the forum name.  It also is helpfull, if you really want suggestions, to know what spam prevention measures you actually are using, "this one seems to fly in under the radar", does not tell us anything.

#3 2019-09-27 8:34 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

I am sure I am not the first to report this.

No you aren't the first person, the IP you show, has been reported has been reported :

Found 422 entries for "176.100.190.61"

#4 2019-09-28 2:56 pm

JamesC
Website

Papa Parrot wrote:

I did not look at the website /domain, or forum , have no interest, generally ".com", is used on commercial sites.If you want suggestions, we do need to know what software is used to power the forum, we DO NOT need the forum name.  It also is helpfull, if you really want suggestions, to know what spam prevention measures you actually are using,

IMO it's a bit aggressive to assume all ".com" addresses are trying to sell something. StopForumSpam is a ".com" yet it's not commercial.  wink

My impression, from gwpriester's post, is that he is only a moderator on that site. He knows that SFS is part of the site's anti-spam solution, but he's likely not the person that set it up -- that would be the site administrator's responsibility. And it's entirely possible that the original site admin (the person that DID set it up) is no longer with the site, leaving the moderators to figure things out for themselves. sad

S'anyway. I looked into gwpriester's concern yesterday morning. It's a vB4 site running the Spam-o-Matic mod for vB4, and Spam-o-Matic queries SFS. Unless Pedigree has revoked an API key for the site gwpriester moderates, or otherwise banned that site from querying here, their SFS lookups should be working.

gwpriester -- if anyone on your moderation team has access to the vB Administrator Panel, ask them to go into vB Options > User Banning Options, drop that IP into the "Banned IP Addresses" field, then scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save. Here's a screenshot, so they know what to look for. (This option may not be available on the Moderation Panel login, so don't panic if you can't find it.)

Last edited by JamesC (2019-09-28 2:57 pm)

Board footer