You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-01 8:36 pm

KjRose

Has anyone had experience with these guys?

Since my site has been up and I installed Stop forum Spam on my php site I have been planked by these guys:

AfriNIC (Africa)
APNIC (Asia Pacific region)
ARIN (North America, a portion of the Caribbean and sub-Saharan Africa)
LACNIC (Latin American and Caribbean region)
RIPE (Europe, the Middle East and parts of Africa and Asia)

No matter what I do, they are there 30-50 at a time. they are marked with the icon but they lurk all day.I don't think they can get in but still it gives a false visitor impression. I don't like that  I am running SimpleMachines Forum 2.0.15 and the address is: <redacted by mod>

#2 2019-05-01 8:41 pm

KjRose

Re: Has anyone had experience with these guys?

Its not org but net   so my address is :

<redacted by mod>

Thank you

#3 2019-05-01 9:09 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Hi KjRose, welcome to SFS.

Trying to promote your site in any fashion within these forums is called spam, which then causes you to be placed within the SFS database. Please do not repeat.

You are going to like my next statements even less, since it is the simple truth - bots & spammers (they are normally the same thing) have been a fact of the net ever since it got going. So, make sure that you have taken all steps that can be taken to protect your site and, once that is true, ignore them.

As long as they are only knocking on the door, and not actually breaking it down, then rest easy.

#4 2019-05-01 10:34 pm

KjRose

Oh I am so sorry This was not an attempt to promote Alex, its just every tech question I ask elsewhere wants the affected site posted or they wont answer. I apologize won't do it again and thank you for answering my question anyway  smile

#5 2019-05-01 10:41 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

==edit====

its just every tech question I ask elsewhere wants the affected site posted or they wont answer.

We don't do things that way here,, if we do feel we need details that involve the domain name, urls, etc. you can be sure we will ask you to give them, either post or by PM, depending.
You can stop a lot of those by using zbblock or something similar.
https://zb-block.net/zbf/index.php
There will be a learning curve on learning about this.  Also you might want to contact your hosting service, if they have good support they can help you on this.
And they have access to all the details needed about your site.  If it is a dedicated server, and you are self hosted,
do some searches about IPTABLES, they can be used to block a huge amount of unwanted bots and scrapers.

Here are some key words that return good results:

how can I use iptables to keep bots off my website and forum

Copy paste them, into your favorite search engine. I don't really want to post links to any particular sites, but I did quote part of what one of the results say:

The “iptables” solution is draconian.  You can literally stop all traffic from any IP address or range of IP addresses using the firewall.  The only better protection for your server is an actual router-based firewall.  Your hosting provider most likely has one but they are not likely to maintain many permanent entries in their firewall and they may not care about all the rogue crawlers looking for your site.  The Web hosting company’s first priority is to keep their customers online.

You can enter individual IP addresses into the firewall or you can use a special notation (often named CIDR) to specify a range of IP addresses.  There are numerous Web-based IP lookup tools that you can find through Bing and Google which will show you the CIDR records (also called ASN records) for active IP addresses.  These addresses will be in the form of “123.123.123.0/24” where the number after the slash refers to how many BITS in the first part of the IP address are the same throughout the range.  An IPv4 address is made up of 32 bits and each section in the decimal representation (called an “octet”) represents 8 bits.  Each octet can have a value in the range of 0 to 255.

A CIDR record ending with “/24” represents 256 IP addresses (0 to 255 in the fourth octet).  A CIDR record ending with “/16” represents 65,536 IP addresses (256 x 256).  CIDR records can end with any number from 0 to 32.  Many of them end with “/24” but a lot of them also end with “/13”, “/14”, “/15”, and “/16”.  These numbers mean the records represent a LOT of IP addresses.

Mastering iptables is a task best left for experienced system administrators, especially given the absolutely awful documentation for the application across the Web. Most so-called “beginner’s guides” and tutorials attempt to explain everything (or, worse, just link offsite to other resources for each and every little detail).  Here is a fairly simple guide that walks you through a basic setup.  It is by no means exhaustive.

note : "Mastering iptables is a task best left for experienced system administrators"
This is basically why I am saying it is best if you ask your hosting service for help on this. For now that is about it.
Great topic title "Has anyone had experience with these guys?",... yes indeed , we have.

#6 2019-05-01 11:08 pm

KjRose

I so appreciate the help  this was informative I see in my logs they are just as Alex said knocking at the door but they are not getting in...they are getting a polite message that they are banned

#7 2019-06-05 4:49 am

delta5

I run two forums using SMF and I have their plug-in installed. It works great. I have not had a spambot get registered yet. They try, but the scanner blocks them. If you install this, be sure to go back to its settings and check all three boxes. When a bot is blocked, a notice will be added to the forum error log. It is not an error, so don't worry.

Board footer