You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-28 12:58 pm

needremoved

VPN/Email/User Blacklisted

I found out a BOINC Forum I was trying to sign-up at was using SFS service to block spammers. Some of them get hit hard w/o some type of captcha option so I don't blame them. I search and find my username (not this one obviously) there listed with an IP that is not from my ISP. VPN IP: 196.52.2.84 For awhile I was using Private Internet Access VPN. Since there were other users, one that was flagged as toxic/bad, with the same IP from the VPN, I guess I was grouped in with it.

I tried submitting the removal request twice with nearly a week between requests w/o any response/automated email with both IPs of the VPN and ISP. I finally got an immediate response last night.

In that time I've tried the Contact US form several times w/o a response as there are zero options to contact anyone here from home since the entire VPN and home IP is blocked. I tried signing up with a brand new gmail account, this one, using home IP and VPN locations I've never used before. I realized SFS blocked everything from home.

So I'm here now, from work, hoping to get my email/username removed. The whole process has been very frustrating as it was nothing I did and from my perspective for over a week there was no way to contact or signup here to talk to someone.

#2 2017-11-28 2:10 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Re: VPN/Email/User Blacklisted

I finally got an immediate response last night.

What was the response ?

I realized SFS blocked everything from home.

We do not block any body from any where, if some site has banned and blocked you,
you need to take it up with them.  Quite often they do ban and block a specific user based
on the information in the data base we provide, even if the listing is removed from the
data base, the site may still have the username, IP and e-mail blocked. You would need to
contact them and ask to get it white listed, or "unblocked".
  The user name, may be is being used by several others that are actively spamming, obviously we
would not remove all of those from the data base as well. Your best option on that is to start using
a  new user name, one that is not listed here.

#3 2017-11-28 2:42 pm

needremoved

I only received the automated response for the 1st time last night with the link verifying a real email. But that was the 3rd attempt. And yes, I checked the spam filter.

The BOINC website is using your data to block registration. The admin pointed me here.

Your own data is blocking registration at this very site. So that statement about blocking not anyone from anywhere is false.

BOINC uses a cross project identifier so 3rd party stats can link the same user from many projects. I have to use the same user/email for that to work. The notion of forcing someone to use a new username is quite rude. I'm guessing your username here is your own personal name? The email/username I need is too. How would you like it it someone you didn't know said you have to change the ID you use everywhere?

I can change the userID later to the one I want at the BOINC forum, the email is being blocked.

Last edited by needremoved (2017-11-28 2:44 pm)

#4 2017-11-28 3:19 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

I am not here to argue,

So that statement about blocking anyone from anywhere is false.

Maybe read : https://www.stopforumspam.com/faq

Again, I stress. we do not block or ban anyone . That is done by the site that has decided to ban you.
The data is submitted by other sites that have encountered problems with spam , from the sources they submit.
Other sites use that data as they see fit.
The only person that can do anything in regards to removing any data is Pedigree, you could send him a PM with the specific details: Username, IP, and e-mail address. 
The only other person that could remove the listing would be the site admin, that submitted the data to start with.  They have to have a API key in order to make the submission, and they can use the same API key to remove any data they have submitted , if and when it is a mistake.
  Without knowing what the user name in question is, I can't say much, but if it is a common name it could very well be listed many times, for example:
John, and select / check the exact match button:

Exact match

Results

Found 110 entries for "John"

https://www.stopforumspam.com/search/John

I'm guessing your username here is your own personal name? The email/username I need is too. How would you like it it someone you didn't know said you have to change the ID you use everywhere?

Actually, there is nothing we can do to stop that, for example , my name Garry, even though spelled with 2 r's
is unusual, it is listed ,... combining the additional  "last name", which could be numbers, or anything, but the
sad fact is, Garry is listed 40 times as well, I don't like that, but I simply have to make adjustments,..
https://www.stopforumspam.com/search/Garry
Be sure to select exact match.

Exact match

Results

Found 40 entries for "Garry"

Yes it is rather difficult to find a unique user name, that is not listed. But also most sites do not go by the user name alone, the IP and e-mail are the deciding factor.

I can not remove any thing from the data base, besides submissions I made myself using my API key,
but if you want you can PM me with the details, as well as Pedigree, (he is the only one that can remove something) but if you want, send me the e-mail ,user name,and IP.

I can change the userID later to the one I want at the BOINC forum, the email is being blocked.

Again, I stress, if the have choosen to block that e-mail, then it is up to them to remove the block or white list it,
we do not block anyone, nor any ones e-mail address , on other sites. They are the ones blocking it.
I had a similar problem, my own e-mail and IP was blocked from my own site, I had to whitelist the ISP, to remove the block, StopForumSpam had nothing to do with that, the software I was using , did have a lot to do with it, and it was blocking my ISP, so I whitelisted it.
They could do the same at this BOINC site, if they wanted to.

#5 2017-11-28 3:34 pm

needremoved

I never said another site is blocking it. I said they are using your data. They aren't blocking anyone either. During registration it seems to check this site for users to not accept. What I did was quote you on this site never blocking anyone, anywhere. I was blocked from registering here. Is this place not somewhere? The process starts here, at this site.

BOINC SFS Wiki:
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/ProtectionFromSpam

Spam user accounts using stopforumspam.com

http://www.stopforumspam.com is a service that maintains a database of spammer email addresses and IP addresses. If you include

define("USE_STOPFORUMSPAM", true);
in your html/project/project.inc, this database will be checked before creating new accounts.

It is not a common name, just one result, mmonnin. The IP 196.52.2.84 has multiple users, one with the 'Toxic IP address or "bad" email domain" icon next to it. Work is blocking the ipcheck link so I can't check the bad username atm.

#6 2017-11-28 5:07 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Well, like I said, Pedigree is the only one that can do the removal, if you all ready have submitted a removal form, then you just need to wait and he will decide if it should be removed, since the user name only is listed 1 time, and there is no evidence, probably it will be removed, I notice also that there has not been any activity on that IP for a while, since sept.
Yes , we do block people that are listed in the data base from this site, but what I meant is we are not responsible for other sites that are blocking some one, we do not block or ban any one from other sites, that is done on their end, they control the software they use to block  possible spammers, not us.

I realized SFS blocked everything from home.

We are not blocking you from other sites. The site that is blocking you can white list the user name, IP or e-mail if they choose to do so.
  You just need to be patient, and Pedigree will take care of the removal request, sometimes it does take a few weeks,  I understand you frustration, but there is nothing I can do to speed up the process.

#7 2017-11-29 1:52 am

Papa Parrot
Website

The removal request form: https://www.stopforumspam.com/removal
also has a link to this:
http://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/view … hp?id=3978
There is more information and it should be read carefully.
==== edited===
I see that it was removed, :
https://www.stopforumspam.com/search/mmonnin

#8 2017-11-30 12:46 pm

needremoved

The removal request was finally completed 19 days after my 1st submission.

#9 2017-12-04 9:29 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

removals can be delayed for a couple of reasons.  The removal requests shows a lot of listings that are recent. 

- A removal then would often be pointless as it would only result in being added shortly after, and would result in a period a time that abuse would slip through the API.  In this case, removal is actioned when reports stop for 5 days
- I have no access to a computer, often happening when you move from one country to another and have Heathrow shipping agents to deal with sad

Board footer