You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-26 1:07 am

rachelnetworx

When is bannedips.zip updated?

Hi, thank you for all the work you are doing to stop spam. 

We're using the bannedips list to block IPs from posting to our site.

Right now we're just downloading & loading the list every midnight (US/Central), but I'm not sure that is the best timing. 

Is there a time of day that list is generally updated, so that we can try to grab it while it's "fresh"?

Or should we just download it every 8 hours, which would be our 3 times per day limit?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2017-04-26 2:54 am

Maikuolan
Website

Re: When is bannedips.zip updated?

Not sure what time of the day that it's updated, but it wouldn't normally be possible to download it at a rate above the allowable limit: The download request would simply be denied, and possibly result in your IP being blackholed if the requests persist over a long period of time (but I'm not sure the exact process that pedigree uses here in regards to that type of thing, so, I can't be sure about that, if it happens, or when, but, I'd assume it would happen at some point). Anyhow.. The download limit isn't simply a request to not download the file above a certain number of times; It's a limit which is actually enforced automatically by SFS, and requests made subsequent to the enforced limit are not honoured.

Edit: Misread, sorry. Early morning and just woke up. Had thought you mentioned 3 times above the limit; Not just 3 times, to reach the limit. Downloading within the specified limit shouldn't cause any problems in regards to the limit itself. '^.^

pedigree should know what time of day the file is updated, whenever he sees this discussion. Otherwise, Alex Kemp or GarryRicketson might know when, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, one of them should see this discussion soon enough and give a better reply than mine.

Last edited by Maikuolan (2017-04-26 3:02 am)

#3 2017-04-26 7:56 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Re: When is bannedips.zip updated?

every hour on the hour, give or take the time it takes the script to pull the information from the database

Board footer