You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-24 6:03 am

lightendark

Help! IP Blocked

Help me please. My IP is blocked at (edited by Garry: URL removed) and says like this

We are sorry to inform you that access to GBAtemnet has been denied to you because your IP address
is listed in StopForumSpam's blacklist. For more details, click here and enter your IP address in the search box.
Do NOT contact us to have your IP removed from the blacklist as we have no control over it.
Should you manage to get your IP removed from the blacklist by other means, please wait a few hours for the removal to be effective on our server.
Thank you for your understanding

and when i contact to remove from stopfourmspam it says that my ip is not in the list. please help me.
I am not a spammer. I am not even registered to gbatemnet. I just want to get some news about gaming and tech... So i visit that site. That is the best fourm i found. I have got 20 bookmarks of that site and i don't want to lose some useful info. so please help me...

#2 2014-05-24 7:48 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Re: Help! IP Blocked

Please complete the removal form at http://www.stopforumspam.com/removal

#3 2014-05-24 12:22 pm

lightendark

That doesnot work. I already tried more than 5 times and get the response saying my is not on the list. Any Solution. Please.

#4 2014-05-24 12:33 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

If the IP is not listed here, there is not much we can do, how can we remove it , if it is not listed ? You will need to contact the site that has you blocked.

#5 2014-05-24 1:37 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

lightendark wrote:

tried more than 5 times ... not on the list. Any Solution. Please.

Hi lightendark, welcome to SFS - sorry that you are getting this run around.

The site that is blocking you is acting against SFS recommendations (indeed, may even be in danger of itself being blocked from SFS if it is using SFS as a firewall - I will be asking Ped to test that).

SFS advises sites to use the SFS Database on Registration only, and I see that you have NOT registered with that site. Further, the SFS advice is that the Email Address is the main field for ID, whilst IP & username are useful for confirmation only.

It is most foolish to block a visitor purely by IP using the SFS API as the source for that IP. RBL/DNSBL sites are the best source for such blacklists. However, SFS provides access to the DB but cannot then police what other folks do with the info after such access.

My advice to you?

1. Go to the problem site

2. If you get blocked again, and they say your IP is the issue, then immediately:

1. Go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ & make a note of the IP
      (Google will also show your public IP if you enter the query "what is my ip address")

2. Go to the SFS search page

3. Paste in your IP & search

(Whether your IP is in the SFS DB or not, there is nothing that we can do, but at least you will know *where* the problem is coming from)

If your IP *is* there: the other site is acting foolishly
If your IP is NOT there:  the other site is acting stupidly

Later update:
I visited the site in question (no block for me) & gave time & IP to Ped so that he can check the server logs to see if indeed they are misusing this site.

#6 2014-05-24 2:30 pm

lightendark

Well Thanks for the support...So sad i will be missing so much info from that site...

#7 2014-05-25 12:09 am

zaphod
Jägermonster
Website

Wonder if it's an old IP in a ZB Block equipped site hanging out in their local copy (cache) of bannedips.csv

If so, then it will require refreshening by the site's owner.

Zap hmm

Get Protected, Stay Protected...
With ZB Block, GNU/GPL Freeware Anti-Spam/Anti-Hack protection for your php based website.

Little boxes in the server farm, little boxes running php...

#8 2014-05-25 12:25 am

Alex Kemp
Website

I wondered about that as well, Zap, although I was thinking along the lines of whether they perhaps had one of the SFS downloads locally cached. That's why I went to the site, so that Ped could discover whether it is sussed live or from cache.

#9 2014-05-26 7:05 am

zaphod
Jägermonster
Website

Well, ZB Block is dual live/cached. It ALWAYS checks the bannedips.csv file first. If not found there, it checks live.

If found checking the API, then that IP is tacked onto the end of the local copy of BannedIPs. That essentially closes the site to that IP at that time.

However, auto purging, and downloading of a fresh bannedips.csv has yet to be done.

Zap smile

Get Protected, Stay Protected...
With ZB Block, GNU/GPL Freeware Anti-Spam/Anti-Hack protection for your php based website.

Little boxes in the server farm, little boxes running php...

#10 2014-05-26 12:24 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

zaphod wrote:

(ZB Block checking visitor IP in local cache) If not found there, it checks live

Hmm. Does that mean that ZBB is a source of constant IP checks at SFS, in that it uses SFS as a (backup) firewall?

#11 2014-05-26 3:45 pm

Old Dragon

Alex Kemp wrote:

Hmm. Does that mean that ZBB is a source of constant IP checks at SFS, in that it uses SFS as a (backup) firewall?

It only checks on registration & login pages, not every visit,  and then only if not found in local file.

Spammers can all go feck themselves. With a cactus. A large one. With two branches.  Sideways
SEO = Spam Emitting Organisation

#12 2014-05-26 3:53 pm

lightendark

Well I tried to remove my ip bt after a freas installation of my windows i was again able to browse gbatemp

#13 2014-05-26 7:09 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Thanks for clarifying that, Old Dragon, and shame on me for doubting that Zap would have not thought that through.

@lightendark: I'm most perplexed that you should need to reinstall Windows to be able to get access to the site.

#14 2014-05-26 9:03 pm

Maikuolan
Website

Alex Kemp wrote:

@lightendark: I'm most perplexed that you should need to reinstall Windows to be able to get access to the site.

..What if, although having a clean IP, his OS was compromised to route traffic through a blacklisted IP? Of course, I don't know this for sure one way or the other, and I am only speculating.. But if he couldn't access websites due to his IP supposedly being blacklisted by SFS, when it wasn't, and suddenly, after reinstalling his OS, the problem disappears.. That's the first thing that comes to mind for me. I've actually seen this exact same thing happen a few times before with (thankfully, not mine) other computers a few times before.

If I'm right.. OP may want to consider going through and changing all passwords to anything he's ever logged into from his computer before as a precaution, as the sort of software that'd compromise an OS in this way is usually deployed for the purposes of stealing account credentials, is often accompanied by keyloggers and more often than not, routes traffic through to hackers. I don't want to trigger any false alarms, as what I'm saying may very well not be the case.. But, it's probably worth a consideration, at the least.

#15 2014-05-27 3:24 am

lightendark

Later i visited again and i get ip blocked again. it seems i can visit once only after fresh installation of my os. so sad

#16 2014-05-27 3:27 am

lightendark

Alex Kemp wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that, Old Dragon, and shame on me for doubting that Zap would have not thought that through.

No no you  were right... i was wrong it seems i can once vist once and after that i get blocked

#17 2014-05-27 9:23 am

Old Dragon

lightendark wrote:

No no you  were right... i was wrong it seems i can once vist once and after that i get blocked

Are you sure it's the IP that's blocked and not something in the user agent? Maybe something you installed after your first visit contained some malware. Could you take a screenshot of the page you see when you try to connect to the site?

Spammers can all go feck themselves. With a cactus. A large one. With two branches.  Sideways

#18 2014-05-27 4:54 pm

lightendark

No...
Please i am not a spammer nor any cactus  i am novice when it comes to this networking or ip stuff.

I am hardcore gamer and do not want to miss any news about gaming. so i really need to get that fourm later i checked i could again see download page of modem-help.co.uk which i was not able to do. I think it was modem-help.co.uk who actually helped me. it redirected me to some spam removable pages and i requested the removable of ip. I saw something like resoled in  ???(i do not remember)some pages.

There are no other fourms like gbatemp so why i would spam. And i do not know how didi i get spam blocked. I reinstalled my OS because I really get fustrated and my firefox was sometimes stopped responding. I think it was the fault of something i dunno and not any virus i use avast free with updated database.

#19 2014-05-27 4:59 pm

Old Dragon

lightendark wrote:

No...
Please i am not a spammer nor any cactus  i am novice when it comes to this networking or ip stuff

The cactus reference is in my signature and appears on all of my posts, it was not aimed at you. I am not accusing you of being a spammer, I am trying to help you.

What is the actual error you get when you try to access that site?

#20 2014-05-28 4:28 am

lightendark

Well thr error i had blacklisted in stop fourm spam but i was removed from here. And some torvel or something lke that showed me that i was  spamming  with something like bitcoin mining or i don't remember something like that... Now i have signed up to that forum so i don't get blocked again. Honestly i don't know anything about this ip blocking .It was my first time and i went through lot of trouble. Thanks for help Everyone.

#21 2014-05-28 11:26 am

lisati

If your IP address is appearing on blacklists somewhere, you might want to do a bit of research. One place to start might be the WhatIsMyIpAddress blacklist check or debouncer.com. (There are other similar lookup tools available, but these two should suffice for now.)

#22 2014-06-18 4:17 am

angie
Website

lisati wrote:

If your IP address is appearing on blacklists somewhere, you might want to do a bit of research. One place to start might be the WhatIsMyIpAddress blacklist check or debouncer.com. (There are other similar lookup tools available, but these two should suffice for now.)

I had an issue like that in the past and had to research it. It turned out that because my ISP uses Dynamic IP's rather than Static IP's that I will ALWAYS be blacklisted on at least 3. However the best sites don't go by those knowing this I was told. I haven't had any issues so far. I just had looked into it back then because as a spam fighter I did not want my IP to be known as a blacklisted IP.

For example, with Sorbs I am listed only once in 2009 (back when my computer actually was infected when I let my mom use it) and it still is listed as *.*.0.0/16 - 1 entries [17:06:27 09 Nov 2009 GMT+00].  *.*.0.0/16 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL). Even if my IP changes it will always be in that range so it will always be flagged.  At least I thought it was because of an infection. However, it seems it might even actually be a policy my ISP has set up: "It is the policy of Cogeco that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Cogeco customers."

I have an account with Sorbs and it is listed as "Current Listing with an active exception" and says it would only cause me a problem if I ran my own mail server (which I do not). Also they suggested this to me:

Dynamic/Generic IP/rDNS address, use your ISPs mail server or get rDNS set to indicate static assignment.

Some blacklists I cannot delist from due to my ISP's policy: Removal of IP addresses within this range from the PBL is not allowed by the netblock owner's policy.

I do not like to use my ISP's email because it sucks.. but what sucks more is that my email will always be rejected by some filters. I did find out that I could request the email filter quorum.to to whitelist me and they did. smile

With some blacklists you can still go to them and ask for delisting such as on http://barracudacentral.org/lookups/lookup-reputation

That does help somewhat.

So perhaps see if you can see which blacklists you are listed on and request (politely) delisting?

Last edited by angie (2014-06-18 4:58 am)

Spammers are attracted to my medical site so I came here.

"ZB Block is Raid for spammers" - Snowhog
I always submit "Evidence" as spammers can always say they didn't spam without that proof.

#23 2014-06-20 4:28 am

Farelf

We're wandering a little off-topic here but it should be emphasised that no-one with a dynamic IP address should be alarmed at finding themselves on the Spamhaus PBL (thence XBL and other 'composite' lists - if that is the sole reason for listing) together with inclusion in whatever of the SORBS domains that handles dynamic addresses.  They are wholly there to (allow a method to) stop e-mail spam sent direct to the internet via SMTP and that benefits the entire internet community (including you should a bot-master compromise your machine and try to use it as an e-mail spam server).  That sort of blocking is wholly routine and specific to SMTP and should not be noticed.  I believe some networks actually contribute/volunteer their dynamic addresses for inclusion.

You cannot delist from these and it should not affect you in the slightest, nor does it affect your "internet reputation" in the least.  Just occasionally a network administrator might get that bit wrong but a swift flick of the clue stick should set that right - they simply need to refer to the RBL's documentation though more likely it will just be some sort of minor configuration problem with their filtering logic/response.

Other lists which react to actual spam sightings are a different matter but may at least provide helpful information about the malware infection causing the problem (the CBL in particular is great), leading to cleaning it out and coming out of the sin bin.  None of which should apply to forum access, unless your machine has also become a multi-talented, thorough-going zombie which would usually be fairly obvious in numerous ways.

Board footer