You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-13 11:01 am

yannick

API suggestion

Hey I must say i really like the API you made for checking if a user has been flaged as a spammer. My plan is to implement it for a website so I can block useres even before they registrate. usally you get 3 things you can check for if the user is a spammer, IP, username and e-mail.

Currently you need to check for those 3 things, 3 times. Would it not be a good idea to be able to give all 3 parameters and let the API check if either one is found in the database. This way you can just make one call to the API instaid of three.

I think it will not be to hard to add smile

Last edited by yannick (2008-01-13 11:35 am)

#2 2008-01-18 7:59 pm

OFxLedzeplin

Re: API suggestion

As long as one would not require all 3 in order to use the API, sounds like an ok idea.

The registration system on my site unfortunately doesnt record IPs, so I need to check by username/email (mainly email).  Requiring an IP would render this site/api useless to me, although im certain it would continue to help a great many.

#3 2008-01-19 11:28 am

yannick

OFxLedzeplin wrote:

As long as one would not require all 3 in order to use the API, sounds like an ok idea.

The registration system on my site unfortunately doesnt record IPs, so I need to check by username/email (mainly email).  Requiring an IP would render this site/api useless to me, although im certain it would continue to help a great many.

I meant that they are optional, so you can fill in one, two or all three.

If there is a hit on either one of the params it gives a true, no hits is a false.

and if your using PHP, you can get the IP of the user useing $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"].

#4 2008-03-25 5:30 pm

Russ

Please give this a try: http://www.stopforumspam.com/api2

It should work exactly like the one in production, only you can pass multiple parameters to it and get the results back in one query.

So, for instance: http://www.stopforumspam.com/api2?ip=91 … @gmail.com

I'd like to roll it into the API currently in use, but I want to make sure it doesn't break the functionality that already exists.

#5 2008-03-30 3:21 am

Russ

If this one is working ok, I'll go ahead and roll the changes into the main API. I've also had one request to submit two usernames in one query, since apparently some forums have an optional "real name" field. I plan on adding that functionality in as well.

Board footer