You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-03 9:40 pm

Rick Corbett

Oops... I 'banned and reported' someone by mistake

Gah! Very embarassing but I've realised that I 'banned and reported' a new registrant by mistake yesterday.

How do I rescind the details that our vBulletin forum sent?

What info do you need?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Just registered in order to own up and ask how to undo my stupid blunder.

#2 2017-11-03 10:00 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Re: Oops... I 'banned and reported' someone by mistake

Use  the "MY Spammers" option in the user panel:
https://www.stopforumspam.com/myspammers
You can delete the person that was submitted. If you are not the admin and do not have the API key, you will
need to have the forum admin, at your forum do this.
     Also, assuming the API key is yours, be sure you are logged in here, other wise you won't be able to access the my spammers list.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Just registered in order to own up and ask how to undo my stupid blunder.

It almost sounds to me like you are not the admin, but a moderator, on the forum where you submitted from,
you  would need to give the site admin the Username, IP, and e-mail of the user you submitted, then they can remove the submission. If that is the case you will need to "own up", but to your forum/site admin. Who ever has the API key, is the one that can remove the submission.
If you do not have the API key, you could also use :
The removal option, https://www.stopforumspam.com/removal
and give the details, then Pedigree can remove it.
Please do NOT post the details here on the public forum.

#3 2017-11-03 10:35 pm

Rick Corbett

Hi Gary,

Many thanks for the fast response. Unfortunately I get a "Message error. Your message contains a word/phrase not permitted by users with less than 5 posts" when I try to rely. There's no info about what is the offending 'word/phrase'.

I would laugh if it was a TV episode... but it's not.

How do I provide you with the details about my mistake?

Regards,

Rick

Last edited by Rick Corbett (2017-11-03 11:01 pm)

#4 2017-11-03 10:45 pm

Rick Corbett

Gary,

Once again I cannot get past the "Message error. Your message contains a word/phrase not permitted by users with less than 5 posts" error.

Regards,

Rick

#5 2017-11-03 10:51 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Gee, I am not sure on that, unfortunately we had to many spammers posting things here, and just recently started using some key words blocks to filter it.  But  also , we don't want the details posted on the public forum, Did you try sending me a PM ?

Edited:
You almost have 5 posts, now, just reply a couple of more times, however the "key word" block, might still
block your post, I have had that happen even though I have 100s of posts, what I do is start removing words
and try again, until I get it to accept it.  A process of elimination,... In any event if the details include a
url,  you would need 5 posts or more,.. if they include IP or e-mail addresses , those should not be posted on
the public board, PM only.

#6 2017-11-03 10:56 pm

Rick Corbett

GarryRicketson wrote:

It almost sounds to me like you are not the admin, but a moderator, on the forum where you submitted from

I'm not a 'site' admin (i.e. the 'Super Admin'). The website is owned by a parent company and apparently the last 'Super Admin' left a month ago. None of this should be important. I'm just one of 4 forum 'Admins', 3 of whom have been newly elevated from 'Moderator' to 'Admin' status.

I've apparently made a mistake and labelled a forum member as a spammer.

What more details do you need in order to correct my mistake?

Regards,

Rick

#7 2017-11-03 10:58 pm

Rick Corbett

(full quote , not needed and removed)

Many thanks for your advice. I'll send you a PM. What details do you need?

#8 2017-11-03 11:06 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

OK, actually you should send the PM to pedigree , I can not do any removals. Pedigree is the only one that can.
You will need to include the username, IP, and e-mail address of the person you submitted. And a brief explanation, like you first post all ready has in it. Pedigree will also see this thread, so he will know pretty
much what happened.
If you do not have the IP and e-mail, the username should be enough, but it would be better to have all three.
Note, it may take a while, pedigree is very busy and may not see the PM immediately, it also may take him a little while to verify everything.
I mean , some one in theory , could just make up a story like this, and ask that the submission be removed, he will need to make sure, on that.
thanks

#9 2017-11-03 11:07 pm

Rick Corbett

GarryRicketson wrote:

Full quote removed by me .

Thank you. It's now obvious that my previous attempt to include the link to our site's 'admin' page (so you could see me) was the problem.

Sorry but... my original question still remains, i.e. how do I rescind the details that our vBulletin forum sent when I inadvertently classed a new registrant as a spammer?

Regards,

Rick

#10 2017-11-03 11:09 pm

Rick Corbett

GarryRicketson wrote:

OK, actually you should send the PM to pedigree , I can not do any removals. Pedigree is the only one that can.
You will need to include the username, IP, and e-mail address of the person you submitted. And a brief explanation, like you first post all ready has in it. Pedigree will also see this thread, so he will know pretty
much what happened.
If you do not have the IP and e-mail, the username should be enough, but it would be better to have all three.
Note, it may take a while, pedigree is very busy and may not see the PM immediately, it also may take him a little while to verify everything.
I mean , some one in theory , could just make up a story like this, and as that the submission be removed, he will need to make sure, on that.
thanks

Brilliant... thank you, just what I wanted. Many thanks for your help.

#11 2017-11-03 11:12 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

I have to go and do some chores, as I said, send "pedigree" a PM , with the :
1.username of the person you submitted
2.The e-mail address, if you have it.
3 The IP if you have it.
Include a brief explanation of what happened, your forum name , etc.
I will be back in a while, if there are more questions,...

#12 2017-11-04 12:45 am

Papa Parrot
Website

Rick Corbett>>I'm not a 'site' admin (i.e. the 'Super Admin'). The website is owned by a parent company and apparently the last 'Super Admin' left a month ago. None of this should be important. I'm just one of 4 forum 'Admins', 3 of whom have been newly elevated from 'Moderator' to 'Admin' status.

To some extent, and for now it is not very important, how ever, it is kind of important that somebody who is active, and responsible , have the API key, and be able to do these kind of things, occasionally mistakes happen,
also, I am not sure on how the software or plug-in that  vBulletin uses works, but most of the "ban and submit" type plug ins or mods , also ban the user from the forum, and you will need to access this and remove the ban,
or "whitelist" the user/newmember  on you end.
   We do not actually block any body from accessing a forum or website, the website or forum keeps the ban information in it's own data base, and even though the submission to our data base is removed, the person could find they are still banned from your forum. Most of the StopForumSpam plug-ins or mods, check the data base here, if the person registering is listed here, they get blocked, but your forum / site is what decides to block them or not, in other words , you probably also need to "unban" the person, their e-mail address, and IP, there should be some options to do this  in your forum administration software.

For example, if and when I ban some one here, and I submit them to the data base, then I realize it was a mistake, so no big deal, since I use my API key to submit them, I can remove / delete the submission.
But since I banned them from here, I also need to go to the "adminstration panel", and "unban" the  person
as well,  There is nothing we can do on this end , to "unban" a user on your forum, you will need to do that, maybe, it depends partly on how the spam blocking/submitting software or plugin works on Vbulletin,
hope this makes sense to you, I  may not be explaining it very well.
We do have some other members that use Vbulletin , and they might know more, and be able to explain better.
Hope it all works out ok, I am sure it will.
In a nut shell, what I am saying is that you or at least one of the admins should/need to try to find out how to access as "super admin", this could be important in the even your forum has any kind of technical problems,etc.
not  only just a mistake with submitting spammers , but other things can and sometimes do go wrong, and the only one that can fix it is someone with full access.

#13 2017-11-04 1:25 am

Rick Corbett

(full quote removed by mod, )

Many thanks for your reply. I 'unbanned' him at my end without any problem. My sole concern is now that I inadvertently sullied his reputation on 'Stop Forum Spam' by using our 'Spam-O-Matic' tool which, apparently, not only bans within our forum but also forwards his details to 'Stop Forum Spam'.

There is absolutely no reason why his reputation should be sullied or his username, IP and email address be 'out there' due to my stupid mistake. I'm very sorry if I can't be clearer than that.

Following your advice (thank you again) I have PM'd 'pedigree' so I'm hoping my mistake can be rectified.

Regards,

Rick

Last edited by Papa Parrot (2017-11-04 1:46 am)

#14 2017-11-04 1:44 am

Papa Parrot
Website

Ok, well no problem really, it shouldn't affect their reputation, hopefully pedigree sees your PM soon, and
takes care of it quickly, Have you notified the user about the mistake ? , it is possible they will find they are blocked some where else, at least temporarily, until pedigree does remove it if need be they can also use the
"removal" option, and put in a request for removal:
https://www.stopforumspam.com/removal

Kind of a different subject, but there is no need to be using the "full quote" option and quoting every post you reply to, some times it is needed to quote some one, but not all ways, and often it is better to just quote the part
that is needed instead of a full quote.
I removed some of them, there is one I left, because it is kind of needed for your reply to make sense.
Thanks

#15 2017-11-04 2:02 am

Rick Corbett

GarryRicketson wrote:

Have you notified the user about the mistake ?

Yes, of course. The moment that I realised what I had done (after a query by another forum admin colleague. We're all volunteers so our 'online presence' is sporadic.). It was only fair that I owned up to my mistake. He hasn't replied to my email yet but I'll deal with any (well deserved) opprobrium.

GarryRicketson wrote:

Kind of a different subject, but there is no need to be using the "full quote" option and quoting every post you reply to

My apologies. I'm not used to this forum's etiquette. I'll be more mindful in future.

Last edited by Rick Corbett (2017-11-04 2:08 am)

#16 2017-11-04 2:17 am

Rick Corbett

I also realise that I've been addressing you as 'Gary' instead of 'Garry'. I apologise for my error.

#17 2017-11-04 2:28 am

Papa Parrot
Website

No problem, that is very common, Garry, with 2 rs is unusual and most people automatic just use 1 r .

Well, most people realize we all can make mistakes, hopefully they understand . What has a tendency to tick people of is when they find they can not access somewhere and they have no clue as to why.

IP and email address be 'out there' due to my stupid mistake. I'm very sorry if I can't be clearer than that.

Don't worry, it isn't really "out there" in the way I think you mean, that is also why I said to not post it on the public forum, so it wouldn't be "out there", and on a public board where every one and everything can see it,
and

I have PM'd 'pedigree' so I'm hoping my mistake can be rectified.

Same, don't worry it can be rectified. But keep in mind it could even be a few days before pedigree sees it and takes care of it.
Then again, he could check in here at any moment, read the PM, and remove it.
I PMd him myself earlier, about something else, and so far he has not responded, so I don't think he has been here yet this evening, ( depending what part of the world one is in),  Any way, I am sure he will take care of it and send you a PM as soon as he sees it.

On the full quote, also, no big deal, a lot of people do that, I think they use the "quote" button instead of the reply button, most of them do try to avoid doing it, once they are aware of it, so no big deal.

#18 2017-11-04 2:41 am

Rick Corbett

Many thanks for your reply. I'll wait for one from 'pedigree'.

#19 2017-11-13 3:17 am

Rick Corbett

Many thanks to 'pedigree' for sorting my mistake.

(so embarrassed... must try harder in future)

Last edited by Rick Corbett (2017-11-13 3:23 am)

Board footer