You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-06 8:14 am

eytan magen

Wordpress spam in my blog on my site

Dear All

I am new hear, stumbled when I checked a spammer IP and registered and reported him as he was already on your site too.

Question1 - why do people go on to my site and put irrelevant comments to my posts with their message attached. does this help them promote their site in any way?

Question 2 - I was asked to give an API key does this give this forum a way to block know spammers from my site automatically? If not what is the use of this Api

Thanks

eytan

#2 2017-03-06 9:59 am

Maikuolan
Website

Re: Wordpress spam in my blog on my site

eytan magen wrote:

Question1 - why do people go on to my site and put irrelevant comments to my posts with their message attached. does this help them promote their site in any way?

Sometimes, yes; Sometimes, no. To quote myself from the last time I'd answered a question like this:

Maikuolan wrote:

Most spambots - programs designed to automate the process of spamming, expediting the efforts of the spammers operating them - operate on the premise of that by throwing as absolute much sh-t as they possibly can into the wind, in all directions, eventually, some of that sh-t, somewhere, will stick; It doesn't matter to their operators whether they bury more than half the universe in post-digestion detritus in the process of their work, as long as at least the tiniest of flecks of fecal matter manage to get the attention of at least one poor sod willing to click on whatever crap they're peddling, or manage to earn them that $0.01c of revenue tied to whatever sham/scam/etc their spam is tied to.

You'll end up tearing out your hair if you try to find reasoning and/or rationale in their actions and their behaviour, because reasoning is not something they'll listen to, and rationale is something they rarely possess; Far better to simply spend that time working on ways to keep them out.

Trying to ask why people post irrelevant comments to your website is like asking why mosquitoes will continually try to bite, no matter how often they're squished, or why moths continually fly into lamps, no matter how many of their kin get fried in the process. Most of them aren't smart enough to know any better. ;-)

eytan magen wrote:

Question 2 - I was asked to give an API key does this give this forum a way to block know spammers from my site automatically? If not what is the use of this Api

An API key is required for *reporting* spammers to the database here. An API key is *not* required for *checking* the database here. An API key is used to authenticate submissions and to reduce the risk of the service being abused. You will need an API key if you want to submit any reports here, but you don't need one if you only want to check the database for known spammers.

#3 2017-03-06 12:08 pm

zero-tolerance

Re: Wordpress spam in my blog on my site

I think people generally underestimate spammers.
If you really understand them they'll be easier to stop.

Board footer