You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-22 11:17 am

Katana

Notice: False Reporting & API Keys Revoked for Abuse

Hi all.  We're seeing a spike in the number of inappropriate reports to StopForumSpam, even to the point where there are reports coming for supposed "forum trolls".

Let's get this straight - reporting users to the database for reasons other than spamming is not acceptable, and doing so deliberately carries its own risk.  This database is for tracking forum spammers, not for tracking "trolls", "annoying users", or executing personal vendettas.

Actions taken for those falsely reporting to the database can include (but is not limited to):

1. Suspension of the offending user account / API keys
2. Addition of user account data (user name, IP address(es), and e-mail accounts), to the database here.
3. Removal of all contributed records from the offending account to our database.

Thank you for your time, and thank you all for your contributions.

(Edit: Dual topics merged into single announcement for clarity -- OTP)

うるさいうるさいうるさい!

#2 2012-02-14 8:37 pm

Katana

Re: Notice: False Reporting & API Keys Revoked for Abuse

Hello again, all.  It seems this problem is ongoing.

I'd like to remind everyone that false reporting to this database can get you, YOURSELF, added to the database.  Additionally, if you do not have access to the IP address or the email address, that data currently cannot and must not be reported to our database.

We've just identified an entry submitted with the evidence stating that the reported data was that of a "troll".  An invalid IP address was also provided, with the submitter stating in the evidence that "I can't access IP address."

Let us make this clear - this is not the "StopForumTrolls" database, this is "StopForumSpam".

Falsely reporting data increases our workload in maintaining the database, decreases the reliability of the database itself, and hurts fellow site administrators in their own fight against spam!

If you notice any reports that appear to be false, please inform a moderator or administrator immediately so we can investigate and take action if necessary

うるさいうるさいうるさい!

#3 2012-03-03 11:57 pm

OnThePike

Domain Names of Revoked API Keys Due to Abuse

Please be advised that forum administrators who submit "trolls" to this database are doing so in violation of our standing policy prohibiting such (the warnings had been posted above). And when submitting such data, you open a channel of communication between that submitted member and the moderation team at SFS.

For the record, we investigate ALL claims. If you are among the fraction of members who abuse this service, we will find out about it sooner or later, and we will take aggressive action. 

At this time, we will begin actively terminating any account which has been found to violate our standing policy of prohibiting "troll" entries to this database. In addition to what has already been posted, we will be listing those abusive former members below.

The following websites have had their API key revoked and their Stop Forum Spam account terminated:

• Date: March   3, 2012     Domain: robingibb.com        Reason: Troll Submission(s).
• Date: March 11, 2012     Domain: vfrdiscussion.com  Reason: IPB C31/32 SSR "Report this user to StopForumSpam".
• Date: July     28, 2012     Domain: techsupportalert.com        Reason: Violated Policy.

#4 2012-03-11 6:53 pm

OnThePike

With respect to this announcement, any IPB found using the C31/32 Stop Spammer Registration Mod, with anonymous reporting enabled, will be listed here as well.

pedigree wrote:

If you use this mod on your forum, using the "Report this user to StopForumSpam" and I find out, I will remove everything on this site related to you, ban your account and put your server in the firewall.  You will NEVER get access back.  There will be NO warning... Period.

Ive found that public user profiles on some boards, have links to module functionality that allows anyone, logged in or not, to submit that users profile to us.  We cannot (and will not) tolerate the submission of non-spammer data.  If this code is assignable to groups and is assigned to everyone, then everyone can visit any profile and click the link.  This is not good.

#5 2012-04-08 6:24 pm

Katana

If you are using the WordPress plugin "AVH First Defense Against Spam" and are submitting reports to StopForumSpam with the "dummy" email address it provides, you can and should expect action be taken against you and your site.
False reporting to our service is unacceptable and will not be permitted - even when it is enabled by a mod or plugin author.

We are currently considering barring this plugin access to our service completely; at this time I would recommend looking for alternatives in the event that we choose to do so.

うるさいうるさいうるさい!

#6 2012-04-16 3:23 am

Katana

A follow-up on the matter regarding the WordPress plugin "AVH First Defense Against Spam".

The developer has contacted me directly and informed me that an update that removes the "dummy email" submission facility is in the pipes and will be released shortly.  I'd like to publicly thank the author for getting on top of this issue and resolving it in a timely manner.
Please update your installations to the latest version once it is available.

うるさいうるさいうるさい!

Board footer