You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-03 11:51 am

webcrase

Error in reporting the user to stopforumspam.com

When I block the user and submit it, the user gets banned but fails to be submitted to the stopforumspam.com website. it give the following Error and message.

"Error

Error while reporting the user to stopforumspam.com. Reason given: IP Address"

User successfully banned."

Last edited by webcrase (2015-03-03 11:56 am)

#2 2015-03-03 2:10 pm

kpatz

Re: Error in reporting the user to stopforumspam.com

Is your forum behind a reverse proxy or Cloudflare?

Spam happens when greed meets stupidity.

#3 2015-03-03 2:46 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

As kpatz suggests, I disable keys and remove all the keys submissions if they are submitting Cloudflare IP numbers.  See if your key is showing disabled at http://www.stopforumspam.com/keys

#4 2015-03-03 5:23 pm

NeoFox
Website

pedigree wrote:

As kpatz suggests, I disable keys and remove all the keys submissions if they are submitting Cloudflare IP numbers.  See if your key is showing disabled at http://www.stopforumspam.com/keys

Yikes! How do we know if we're submitting cloudfare IP numbers? Does that mean we're using the Cloudfare services ourselves or the devil spammers are?

EDIT: Nevermind I think I figured it out. Never used the services myself and only barely ever heard them mentioned before.

Last edited by NeoFox (2015-03-03 5:26 pm)

#5 2015-03-03 6:30 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

BlueSage wrote:
pedigree wrote:

remove all keys if submitting Cloudflare IP

Yikes! How do we know if we're submitting cloudfare IP numbers?

Only possible if *your* site is hosted on Cloudflare. Otherwise, not an issue.

#6 2015-03-03 7:33 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

When I block the user and submit it, the user gets banned but fails to be submitted

This makes me wonder, Has the user even posted anything that could be called spam ? If nothing has been posted, there is nothing to submit.
Not trying to be rude, but there is not enough information in your post for anybody to be able to really answer, we are all just guessing, What forum software is it, ? and also is the hosting "cloudflare" or what ?
Also if a IP address is not included with the info on the spammer, it will not accept it, the info must include : a verified E-mail address, IP, and a username.

#7 2015-03-04 2:11 pm

kpatz

GarryRicketson wrote:

This makes me wonder, Has the user even posted anything that could be called spam ? If nothing has been posted, there is nothing to submit.
Not trying to be rude, but there is not enough information in your post for anybody to be able to really answer, we are all just guessing, What forum software is it, ? and also is the hosting "cloudflare" or what ?
Also if a IP address is not included with the info on the spammer, it will not accept it, the info must include : a verified E-mail address, IP, and a username.

I mentioned Cloudflare because of the error message the OP got: "Error while reporting the user to stopforumspam.com. Reason given: IP Address"

Meaning the submission was rejected due to an issue with the IP address, such as a private IP being submitted, incorrectly formatted, IPv6, etc.  I don't know if submitting a Cloudflare IP would trigger this error or not.  But a site hosted behind a NAT or reverse proxy could get this error if the forum is submitting an internal IP such as 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x etc.

Last edited by kpatz (2015-03-04 2:13 pm)

Spam happens when greed meets stupidity.

#8 2015-03-04 7:45 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

I don't know if submitting a Cloudflare IP would trigger this error or not.

Me neither, Alex seems to think it is  and Pedigree too,...
But really unless the OP gives us a few more details,  we are all just kind of guessing,

But a site hosted behind a NAT or reverse proxy could get this error if the forum is submitting an internal IP such as 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x etc.

It is anybodies guess, what hosting they are using,or if they are using a reverse proxy.
If the OP posted the IP that would help.

#9 2015-03-04 10:07 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

GarryRicketson wrote:

(Cloudflare IP submission triggering an error) Alex seems to think it is  and Pedigree too,...

I'm hardly an expert on Cloudflare; nevertheless:-

The key feature of Cloudflare that causes problems for SFS is it's distributed DNS features. As I understand it, Cloudflare does provide a method for a Cloudflare-protected site to obtain the actual IP of a visitor but, unless it uses that method (and most do not) the IP that it receives will always be a Cloudflare-IP. Which, in it's turn, means that SFS is in danger of becoming filled with (wrongful) Cloudflare-IPs. Hence the preventative measures.

Brief info:

• CloudFlare is a Cloud-hosting mechanism for websites.

• It acts as a reverse-proxy, utilising distributed DNS & 30 data centres to enable it to sit between a website & the visitor.

• The technology was validated in February 2014 when it kept a customer online in spite of an attempted DDOS that peaked at 400 Gbit/sec..

• CloudFlare is notorious for hosting criminal, malware & other such sites.

I have no idea as to CloudFlare's notoriety as a source of spam.

#10 2017-04-17 11:12 am

stopjemspam

Hello all,

I'm having the same issue as reported in the first post of this threat. From a Joomla site, with Kunena forum I get this:

"Error

Error while reporting the user to stopforumspam.com. Reason given: IP Address"

User successfully banned."

Obviously, the 'user successfully banned' message comes from Kunena Forum.

The pityful part is that this error is not consistent. It happens in approx 80 of the cases; and I do have to ban quite a few commercial registrants. Let's say on average 15 per week.

What info is neede to dive deeper into this? I'm not on a cloudflare hosting, but have a fixed ip address behind my site.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

#11 2017-04-17 11:25 am

pedigree

what are some of the IPs being rejected?

#12 2017-04-17 11:33 am

stopjemspam

Hi Pedigree.
Thanks for your quick reply!

Hold on...: So this is about the IP address of the user that got banned? No the IP address of our site?

Hmmm... let me think: There MIGHT be some logic here.

When I block a user that has not yet posted a message in the forum: No IP address is yet recorded I think. I just checked Kunena forum and it seems they only record an IP address with the actual post.

Bu on our forum we get a lot of registrants that just enter commercial sh.. in their signature, but never post any message. So I ban them anyway, but then get the error message.

Let me try and register the next 10 bans or so and then get back to you

#13 2017-04-17 11:50 am

pedigree

If you don't have an IP address to submit then we don't accept reports.

Board footer