You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-29 6:16 am

wojiu8172

What's the actual mean of "Toxic IP address"?

I haven't been here for dozens days.
And today I search for some SPAM IP here, I find there is a symbol before some IP address.
In "Legend":Toxic IP address or "bad" email domain.
But I cann't understand the actual mean of "Toxic IP address".
And what can I do to these IP, also how can I prevent my IP becoming "Toxic IP address"?

#2 2011-11-29 7:27 am

connorw600

Re: What's the actual mean of "Toxic IP address"?

I believe its Extremely active IP address, So you have Hot IP then toxic IP.

for example 199.15.234.222 has 50 submissions in 18 minuets (Toxic IP) and 212.90.32.58 has 70 submissions in 10 days (Hot IP).

But that's what I think, ped could have meant something else.

When will someone invent a coffee cup that never empties and stays warm as you drink from it.

#3 2011-11-29 8:26 am

wojiu8172

Thanks for your opinion, it helps me much. LOL~
But actually, I don't think so, since I have found some IP against your mind~

Last edited by wojiu8172 (2011-11-29 8:28 am)

#4 2011-11-30 1:25 am

busterone
Website

From another topic, quote from Ped himself.

pedigree wrote:

yup, its a warning

Next to an IP number means that its listed here as a toxic network (eg xsserver.eu) and next to an email address, is listed as a toxic domain (eg myspammingservice.com)

bold red IP addresses mean its a "hot ip, lots of activity recently" and "bold red email" (soon to be fixed) means that its from a disposable email domain

yum yum, eat 'em up cool  thedemonsden.com

#5 2011-11-30 1:39 am

wojiu8172

Thank you, busterone.
I believe it's the real answer.

#6 2011-11-30 1:53 am

Katana

Erm, that is correct (what Busterone said).  Sorry I didn't see this earlier. 

http://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/view … hp?id=2761 <- also worth noting, this helps to confirm it.

うるさいうるさいうるさい!

#7 2018-03-03 8:43 pm

deg1648

"...bold red IP addresses mean its a "hot ip, lots of activity recently" and "bold red email" (soon to be fixed) means that its from a disposable email domain..."

Sorry if this is a really stupid question ... is a "hot ip" good or bad?

I am coming across more hot ip's with clean email addresses and I am not sure if they are safe to allow into my forum.
The same goes for a disposable email address ... what exactly makes an email disposable?

Thanks in advance! My forum would be a mess (and I would shut it down) without SFS! smile

#8 2018-03-03 10:24 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

That would depend on how many times it is listed, if it is listed here, in the data base, that is not good.
The more times it is listed , the more "bad" it is.  The "clean e-mail" indicates they are using a new e-mail
that has not been listed yet. If the IP is listed a lot, it is likely a bad IP as well, even if it is not Red (toxic),
So it is up to you , I consider them bad, and don't accept registrations from them,  other forums do, others base it on when it was last active, and how many times it is listed.

The "disposable e-mail addresses", are used once or twice, then no longer valid nor used,...disposable.

#9 2018-03-03 10:30 pm

sklerder
Website

Hi !

Sorry if this is a really stupid question ... is a "hot ip" good or bad?

These are bad IP addresses ...
More an IP or an email domain is known from SFS database, worst it is smile

A disposable email address is a "one shot address", an ephemeral address.
It will be used, on a forum which accept them, to register and probably no more used.
Chances are it was used to register and post spam ...
An email address is disposable by nature from its domain (a typical example is yopmail.*), but there are tons of such domains ...

#10 2018-03-04 1:00 am

deg1648

Thanks so much GarryRicketson & sklerder!

I have not been accepting any those ... when in doubt, do nothing! lol
But felt it was time I find out instead of guessing.

Thanks again for answering so quickly!

#11 2018-03-04 2:53 am

kpatz

A Toxic IP generally means it's an IP belonging to a spam-tolerant ISP or otherwise has lots of spam activity coming from that ISP or IP range.  If you see someone on your forum that is registering or posting from a known toxic IP, increases the chances that it's a spammer.

A toxic domain is one that spammers use, perhaps a spam friendly ISP or email provider's domain.  Once again, seeing activity from email addresses on a toxic domain increases the chances that they're spammers.

Disposable email addresses are ones that are used for throwaway purposes, as opposed to someone's permanent email address... some people use them to register on sites that they don't want to use their real email in case it gets sold to spam lists.  Also, spammers use them, hence their mention here.

If you're using the SFS query API, toxic IPs and emails on toxic domains will always return a "positive" hit even if they aren't specifically listed in the data base.

Spam happens when greed meets stupidity.

Board footer