You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-05 8:03 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

To all Internet Explorer users

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2010/Sep/64

STOP USING IT

If there is any reason, other than its crap, insecure and a complete joke, then the above link is yet another reason to avoid it.  IE8 allows sites to steal your data, simple as that.

Please stop using it, install Firefox, Chrome or Opera and use that.  Keep your data safe.

#2 2010-09-05 7:03 pm

Sable899
Website

Re: To all Internet Explorer users

I've reposted your alert on my forums.  Thanks.  I've been trying to tell people this for ages now.  My personal opinion is that Chrome is such a great browser and Firefox is fantastic for streaming media that together, they can make IE extinct.

#3 2010-09-05 8:07 pm

insektenfang
Website

Sable899 wrote:

...together, they can make IE extinct.

Fat chance! Most users neither know nor care to know the failings of a particular browser. Hell, they likely couldn't even name the one they stare at for hours every day!!!

insektenfang plants
carnivorous plant nursery

#4 2010-09-05 8:48 pm

zaphod
Jägermonster
Website

Maybe we should have IE users solve a recaptcha in order to search the database....

Of course, we will say "To make this recaptcha go away... please download Firefox, Chrome, or Opera!" and provide links.

Just our little attempt to wake people up.

Zap wink

P.S. Come to think about it... if someone isn't signed into the forums, a recaptcha on search might just be the trick to slow down the hostile queries (With 3 failures causing a lock-out for that hour). However, if someone is signed in, the recaptcha goes away, since we can track usage according to user then.

Get Protected, Stay Protected...
With ZB Block, GNU/GPL Freeware Anti-Spam/Anti-Hack protection for your php based website.

Little boxes in the server farm, little boxes running php...

#5 2010-09-05 9:47 pm

insektenfang
Website

zaphod wrote:

P.S. Come to think about it... if someone isn't signed into the forums, a recaptcha on search might just be the trick to slow down the hostile queries (With 3 failures causing a lock-out for that hour). However, if someone is signed in, the recaptcha goes away, since we can track usage according to user then.

Good idea! That would bring a halt to the ddos attempts.

insektenfang plants

#6 2010-09-05 11:05 pm

pedigree

If it becomes a real problem, I might just have to do that.

#7 2010-09-06 8:35 pm

Velkro
Website

insektenfang wrote:

Fat chance! Most users neither know nor care to know the failings of a particular browser. Hell, they likely couldn't even name the one they stare at for hours every day!!!

I know that in my extended family alone, many of them continue to use Internet Explorer regardless of how much I try to convince them otherwise.  I just fixed a relatives computer that was full of spyware, and the first problem I noticed was that IE was the only browser on the computer.  I just shook my head and told them I would not fix it again unless they practiced safer browsing practices by installing Firefox.

#8 2010-09-07 3:07 am

Ysne58

Yeah, I got this new computer last month.  First thing I did was switch from IE to Chrome.  I did actually try IE for about an hour after that as an experiment.  On top of the ongoing unfixed security issues, IE doesn't play well with Windows 7.  Now that is just typical of microshlock.

Chrome works fine with Windows 7.

Last edited by Ysne58 (2010-09-07 3:07 am)

#9 2010-09-10 2:34 pm

texashiker
Website

If the US government forced microsoft to offer more then 1 browser with its operating system (like the EU has done), IE would lose even more of its market share.

15 years of bugs and problems is enough.  If microsoft can not get a browser right in that amount of time, they never will.

#10 2010-09-10 3:56 pm

zaphod
Jägermonster
Website

Ya know, this smells like Microsoft bashing.

I know, from being a longtime user of Firefox and Opera, that they have had their own share of 'sploits and vulnerabilities. Yes, they tend to patch faster, especially with the serious ones, but the real problem at Microsoft is the common, bloated, corporate mentality.

For every step Opera or Firefox needs to get a problem fixed, Microsoft probably has to take 10 to 100 steps. Simply to recognize and activate a plan to fix a vulnerability, the information probably has to go up and down the corporate ladder 3 times, through probably 5 levels. And due to their rigid corporate mentality, the fix cannot be published for up to a month on "patch Tuesday". Not to mention the fact that at nearly every step, bean counters, marketing, and the legal department have to be consulted. So now we have 3 times, 5 levels, 4 departments (the programming chain + the 3 mentioned). That's 60 hand-offs just to confirm there is a problem.

So, to fix this, all Microsoft has to do, is move all the corporate overhead to the janitorial department, this includes the assistant and department managers, assistant division managers... in otherwords, everyone between team leader, and the head of the software department. Not only would the speed of the operation go up, customer satisfaction increase, but by cutting out all the fat, the profits would go sky high.

But till then, yeah, Internet Explorer needs to stay in the s**tcan.

Zap hmm

With ZB Block, GNU/GPL Freeware Anti-Spam/Anti-Hack protection for your php based website.

#11 2010-09-10 4:54 pm

insektenfang
Website

As I said above, I very much doubt that the average user could name the browser they use every day... or could care less.

OK, I admit it... I still use IE8!!!!!!!! (I remember it when it was the original NCSA Mosaic... and fighting with the Trumpet Winsock!!!) I bet there are a lot of other members here who do as well. I am however aware of the potential pifalls and as Zap pointed out, Microsnot is not alone in having "issues".

insektenfang plants

#12 2010-09-10 5:37 pm

Fire God
Website

Sable899 wrote:

I've reposted your alert on my forums.  Thanks.  I've been trying to tell people this for ages now.  My personal opinion is that Chrome is such a great browser and Firefox is fantastic for streaming media that together, they can make IE extinct.

I just hope you did not go through the same crap storm I did, when I did the same thing. Then again I took it a step further in saying that access would be blocked to IE users trying to log in.

#13 2010-09-10 5:49 pm

thbertram

All the browsers have their share of problems. I run 6 different browsers to ensure that my site's programming is such that it will work for a broad range of users. 

The biggest problem I've run across with IE is that the out-of-the-box settings are way too lenient. I reset the security first thing on a new install. The only infection I've gotten recently came in via Firefox, when IE blocked it. Go figure.  Firefox is my personal choice for browsers.

When Firefox gets to be the #1 browser with a majority share, it will replace IE as the target and it will all start again, with Firefox getting the badmouth.

#14 2010-09-10 9:01 pm

zaphod
Jägermonster
Website

thbertram wrote:

All the browsers have their share of problems. I run 6 different browsers to ensure that my site's programming is such that it will work for a broad range of users.

Amen... I have to use multiples to check that too. But when it comes to casual use, it's Firefox or Opera on a virtual machine.

thbertram wrote:

When Firefox gets to be the #1 browser with a majority share, it will replace IE as the target and it will all start again, with Firefox getting the badmouth.

That will be interesting to see if an open-source project can get the bad-mouth. Because their retort could always be... "Well, if you don't like it, fix it yourself. You can find the source code here........."

Zap smile

#15 2010-09-10 9:32 pm

insektenfang
Website

zaphod wrote:

That will be interesting to see if an open-source project can get the bad-mouth.

If I remember correctly it's already happened owing to "add-on bloat". Last I heard, the next version was reported to be radically stripped down.

insektenfang plants

#16 2010-09-10 11:07 pm

zaphod
Jägermonster
Website

Hope they fork it.

Zap smile

#17 2010-09-11 9:38 am

pedigree

You can go to spoon.net/browsers and look at the beta of Firefox4 without having to install it.  Im not too keen on the new interface myself.

#18 2010-09-12 2:13 pm

Alessandra
Website

My main contact with IE has been when I'm coding websites and my testers say something is a little weird when they look at it with IE.  I've never used it, and frankly I don't really care if IE sees my site sub-optimally, as long as no crucial info is lost.  I'm not going to jump through stupid coding hoops to stick in patches and kludges to make a single crotchety browser happy, when every other browser out there is better and sees my sites just fine.  I guess I'm a little crotchety about IE.

Board footer